Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP10 stoped working

• Please log in to reply

Zardok

Zardok

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
When I try to open WMP10, a pop up comes up saying that, "An internal application error has occurred."

I've tried reinstalling it and it says the software is incompatible with my system.
It was working fine 2 days ago.

on top of it, if i upgrade to WMP11, it wont open (with no error or anything), and windows media center is crashing :whistling:

Edited by Zardok, 24 March 2007 - 08:25 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try system restore...go back at least a week before the problem started..

Zardok

Zardok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
System restore doesn't display anything.
When I select System Restore from the start menu, a blank window appears with only System Restore as the title of the window...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the lowdown to use restore is here...

Zardok

Zardok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i know how to use restore. But when i open the executable from the start menu, only a blank window appears.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No help for this, but to repair it

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, (listed as Sr), right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.

Will VLC run media files

http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/

Zardok

Zardok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
at step #3, I don't think I received a Windows XP CD with the purchase of my computer.

I'll look around for it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get one...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to understand..I have no idea what you know and don't know..
try this..

right-click My Computer, and then click Properties...then restore tab...lower status box should say C: monitoring
no restore tab
go to start...run...type in ...services.msc...press ...enter..
In Services, the System Restore service is listed as stopped.
If you try to manually start the System Restore service, you may receive the following error message:
FOLDER IS NOT EMPTY

CAUSE
This issue may occur if there is a problem with the System Volume Information folder on your computer.

Note By default, the System Volume Information folder ( drive:\System Volume Information) is hidden.

to unhide these folders..
1. Click on Start, then My Computer

2. Select the Tools pull-down menu, click on Folder Options, and then select the View tab

3.In the Advanced settings option under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files and folders and clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, then Click OK...

then do this..
To resolve this issue, rename the System Volume Information folder, and then restart your computer. To do this, you must use an account with administrator permissions. If you have more than one hard disk drive on your computer, follow these steps on one hard disk drive at a time. To rename the System Volume Information folder, follow these steps:
1. Configure the View hidden files and folders setting in Folder Options if it is not configured. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Right-click Start , click Explore, click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
b. Click the View tab.
c. In the Advanced settings box, click Show hidden files and folders , and then click OK.
2. Locate the root of a hard disk drive. Work in reverse alphabetical order by drive letter. For example, if you have three hard drives on your computer with the drive letters "C", "E", and "F", follow these steps on drive F, on drive E, and then on drive C.
3. Right-click the System Volume Information folder, and then click Rename.
4. Type a new similar name for the folder, and then press ENTER. For example, type System Volume Information2, and then press ENTER.
5. Restart your computer, and then test to determine if the issue is resolved.
6. If the issue is not resolved, repeat steps 2-5 for the next drive on your computer in reverse alphabetical order by drive letter.

Zardok

Zardok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
The restore tab does say "C: monitoring"

The system Restore service is listed as Started

The System Volume Information folder comes up with an "access denied" pop up when I try to rename it.

I am the only administrator on my computer and I have only 1 hard drive (FYI :whistling: )

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this..
you do not have access to the System Volume Information folder, perform these additional steps

Right-click the System Volume Information folder and click the Properties option

Select the Security tab and add your username to the user/group list with access to this folder

Zardok

Zardok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
There's only "General", "Sharing", and "Customize" tabs, no Security tab.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also try restore in safe mode...
still no joy try this...go here