Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Webpage screen position - newbie error

• Please log in to reply

TheWern

TheWern

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

When I did the macromedia course for Dreamweaver, they say to use layers and CSS and not tables.
After creating a website for some friends, it looks fine on a laptop or std size screen, but if opened on a large screen the page apears off centre to the top left, and not enlarged to match the screen width.

If I had used a table, I could set it's size to 100% width and it would sort this problem out.

But if you only use layers, how do you solve this problem? ? ?

regards,

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
you control the layers in the CSS for the div tags, just add the line to each Div section in the css file

width: 100%;
height: 100%;

this should fix that issue, just remember, IE doesn't like to conform to W3C standards like they say they do. on my sites index page it renders fine with Firefox, however to make it render correctly with IE5, 6 or 7 I have to write a javascript code for it to work. which I have purposely neglected doing, IE should conform to W3C standard, not try to make W3C standards conform to IE standards

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Dragon don't you use

<!--[if IE]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/ie.css"><![endif]-->

When all other attempts to get IE to work fail. Every browser except IE see that as a comment.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
as a general rule of thumb I make one css that is compatible for all browsers. That is a work around that I do use occasionally. However, IMHO, I think it is wrong to have to have 2 separate stylesheets for one web page just because IE wants to write their own CSS standards.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Not a whole new sheet, I never do that, just one to override some of the rules in the preceding style sheet. When nothing else will work, I do do that. I don't like those really dirty hacks that are sometimes used to get IE to work that are also invalid css.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
i only use the dirty tricks if nothing else will work. Personally I'm getting tired of having to do any kind of change just to make the site compatible for IE, but as a web designer, you do what you have to do.