Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP B4 I throw this computer out the window!

• Please log in to reply

dannifyi

dannifyi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
PLEASE PLEASE somebody help! I just installed a new used compaq pentium 4 windows 2000 system. All was good. I installed defender pro and MS office 97. Now I cannot see or access my files. For example if I open the my computer folder it's blank but at the bottom of that window it says 4 objects. If I open my email express it's blank but I can access it if I hit the inbox key. I'm also having trouble viewing PDF files and uploading anything. I tried to uninstall my firewall, but that did nothing. From what I read it sound like it's my browser which is internet explorer. I might be willing to sell a kidney if somebody could tell me how to fix this! :whistling:
Thanks, Danielle

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

dannifyi

dannifyi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Keith I appreciate your help very much. Sadly, when I followed the instructions it read system cannot find the path specified. Any other thoughts?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:whistling: suppose having XP would help, sorry

Which version of IE have you got?

dannifyi

dannifyi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
windows 2000 professional

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the 2000 CD

http://www.windowsre...tipageindex.htm

dannifyi

dannifyi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just to make it more fun, I don't have the CD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Any chance of borrowing one

dannifyi

dannifyi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That is something I'll have to look into. I think for the sake of my own sanity I need to step away from the computer. Thanks for your help and time Keith. I really do appreciate it.