Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Msconfig Start Up Problems

• Please log in to reply

toplocker

toplocker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry if this is a dumb and stupid question. But i tried to make my computer more effecient. (Bad start). So i went to msconfig and did something with selective startup. Now when I start up 20 program screens pop up really quickly. Easy Cd Creator, Creative Modem, msdll, and a bunch of other stuff I've never heard of. I can eventually close all the screens but my comp won't connect to the internet.

Is there a way to restore standard start up configurations in Msconfig? I've tried to restore to an earlier date...but my comp doesn't seem to have any previous setting saved.

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I cannot imagine what you could have done to create this issue....did something....what does that mean? Or don't you know?

It sounds like you did something else, like dumped a bunch of files in your start up folder....since I cannot see your computer it is difficult to figure out what is going on....

I guess a hijackthis log will at least let us take a look at why those programs are running at startup so let's start there.

ourwilly

ourwilly

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 768 posts
Hi Toplocker
sorry I can't answer you problem
But please Try this great program for start up information

Startup Inspector

once installed consult the internet and examine the icons then uncheck anything that is not required, it's the safest way to do it yourself