Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Setup Errors

• Please log in to reply

CyberWings

CyberWings

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've been having a lot of trouble with my sister's computer because of a habit of crashing at least once a month. Yesterday it crashed again. I'm farely sure it's a hardware problem, but I have no idea how to go about fixing that so I was hoping that someone here could help me to at least get it back up and running again. I'd really like to try to save her data, but I don't know how to get past this. If there isn't a way to do it, I will just reformat it again.

The first thing I did was to turn it on and set it to boot from the Windows Setup disc.

~~~~~~

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

Welcome to Setup.
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft <R>Windows<R>XP to run on your computer.
  • To setup Windows XP now, Press Enter
  • To repair a Windows installation using Recovery Console, press R
  • To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3
I pressed Enter because I don't know how to use the Recovery Console.

~~~~~~

If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it.
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation
  • To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R
  • To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC
C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

I pressed R to try to repair it.

~~~~~~

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following Windows installation
C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.
  • To retry upgrading to Windows XP, press Enter
  • To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC
  • To quit Setup, press F3
I pressed Enter.
I wrote this all down after I had encountered the problem, that's why it says that it has already tried to upgrade it.

~~~~~~
I will just list the files it was unable to delete instead of typing it all out multiple times.

Setup cannot delete the file:

arialb.ttf
courb.ttf
micross.ttf
timesb.ttf
x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_no-public-key_6.0.0.0_x-ww_4d05e542.manifest
x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_no-public-key_6.0.0.0_x-ww_cd4c0d12.manifest
x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_no-public-key_1.0.0.0_x-ww_fad9507f.manifest
x86_comct132_6.0.0.0_0000.manifest
x86_GdiPlus_1.0.0.0_0409.Manifest
x86_Microsoft-Visual-CPlusPlus-Runtime-Libraries_6.0.0.0_0000.Manifest
msimewiz.exe
msime98d.dll
msime98u.dll
msime98c.dll
msime98u.exe
imepad.dll
msime98.hlp
msime98.cnt
cplexe.exe
imejpcus.dll
imejpdct.dll
imejpuex.exe
imejputy.dll
msimewiz.exe
imeskdic.dll
imeskf.dll
multibox.dll
softkey.dll
imeskdic.dic
hwxjpn.dll
CHTAPT.CHM
CHTAPT.HLP
CHTAPTEN.HLP
CHTMBX.DLL
CHTSKDIC.DIC
CHTSKDIC.DLL
CHTSKF.DLL
HWXCHT.DLL
IMEPADEN.CHM

This error will not prevent Setup from completing successfully.
  • To skip deleting this file, press ESC (recommended)
  • To retry deleting this file, press Enter

After each error came up I had first pressed Enter, but it had no effect so I then pressed ESC.

~~~~~~

Setup cannot create the folder:
\WINDOWS\Fonts

Setup cannot continue until the folder is created.
  • To retry, press Enter
I first pressed Enter, but it again had no effect so I pressed F3 and the computer rebooted.

I know that's a lot of stuff to look through, but I want to know if there's any way to save what's on her computer. If it would just be better to reformat it, then please tell me.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Is this an OEM computer with a recovery CD?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can remove the hard disk and install it on another computer. Set the jumpers correctly. If you are not sure how to this please ask. While on the other computer you can reach the files that you want to keep. After backup return the disk to your sister's computer and reformat. It seems that your windows installation is utterly corrupt.

CyberWings

CyberWings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
@Whiskeyman - Sorry, I don't know what OEM means. :whistling: It's a Dell desktop computer that came with a Windows XP Home Edition Setup/Recovery disk though.

@The Skeptic - I honestly have no idea how to do that. I don't think I could install it on another computer, because the two computer we have are my sister's (broken) desktop and my laptop. Or would that work?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You cannot backup to your laptop unless you have a special usb connected adapter that enables placement of your sister's disk into the adapter, convering IDE to USB.

Couldn't you use a friend's or family member's computer?

CyberWings

CyberWings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope, we're the only ones with computers. :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

I know that's a lot of stuff to look through, but I want to know if there's any way to save what's on her computer. If it would just be better to reformat it, then please tell me.

It depeds how important the data is. If I understand correctly then the computer is not bootable at the moment and is having a corrupted xp installation for which repair attempt was made unsuccessfully. If the data is very important then try to get a theird computer to move the disk into or get a IDE to USB or SATA to USB converter (depends on the type of HD in your sister's computer). The HD is placed inside the converter as per instructions and then is connected to a USB port on your laptop. Where I live a converter like that cost about 40US$.

If the data is not that important then just format the disk. I don't really see other options.

Edited by Fenor, 26 March 2007 - 12:30 AM.