Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista feels a lil sluggish

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i have vista basic
ok my specs are

Processor Brand Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core

Processor Speed 1.6GHz

Display Type WXGA widescreen TFT-LCD with Ultrabright technology (1280 x 800)

Screen Size 14.1"

System Bus 533MHz

Cache Memory 1MB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM) 1GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2GB

Type of Memory (RAM) DDR2

Hard Drive Type Parallel ATA (4200 rpm)

Hard Drive Size 100GB

it still feels a little slow and when i go into task manager it shows that 754 mb, physical memory at 77%, 81 processes, a total of 957 physical memory with 316 towards cache and 19 free and it feels a lil slow

Is there anyway i can sorta make it feel a lil vista or what do i need to do to make it feel or go faster

Advertisements

BluePoet

BluePoet

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Another GB of RAM would probably help somewhat, but the number of processes does seem a bit high, even for Vista.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
addin another gig of ram is certainly not in the budget.... its really too much money.... i messed with some of the settings and its a lil faster... i got the processes down to like 51 and and ram available to lik3 half of the amount.. ill continue to mess with the settings until i see it fit

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Vista is so memory hungry its untrue. It eats memory like there is no tomorrow. Even on 1Gb of memory, it does a lot of hard drive hammering on my desktop.

One option is to turn the fancy graphics off, but this makes things like the Windows Sidebar and what not look extremely ugly.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i tweaked with the graphics a little and it still looked wonderful, i do not use the sidebar tho because it is a waste of time and honestly, it takes up way too much memory.. i only have what i need and what i can use.. i can probably get another application somewhere online that does what the sidebar does.... i think my laptop is familiar with the apps i run at most times and it opens up pretty quickly... i cant complain so much.. i wish it didnt take up soo much ram tho

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I only have 44 processes running according to my task manager. But yeah I agree more RAM would help.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
my average processes round out to be around 55 56 these days so im guessin that is good.. but what are the specs on your computer gamerlicious....

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You can safely disable some of the services that you don't need by following the instructions listed here:

http://vistarewired....sable-services/

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
this is soo funny.. because right now, in my advanced user settings, im actually clicked adjust for best apperance and it is actually faster than the settin, adjust for best performance.... im soo suprised at this.. but ill see how long this lasts for....
my total physical memory is 957...... cached is 520, free is 19
for the kernel memory.. it has 105 for total..... paged has 77, nonpaged has 27...
57 processes, cpu usuage goes no higher than 11%, and physical memory is at 56

can someone explain the 520 cached memory... well the whole thing physical memory with cache, total and free memory,, what do they mean and are my specs good? great? could be better?