Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

fans not working

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
hello. my board has 3 3pin jacks for fans, 1 cpu, 1 case, 1 front. now it was working before i shut down my pc. now i cant get them to work other than cpu. any guesses?

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-AnthonyJ-[Fan not working]-25th MAR-2007

hello. my board has 3 3pin jacks for fans, 1 cpu, 1 case, 1 front. now it was working before i shut down my pc. now i cant get them to work other than cpu. any guesses?

Assuming, from some of your earlier threads on fans, that these are new fans -

Here are a couple of ideas – for causes

1. Check your BIOS Settings – There may be some settings under something like – Hardware Monitor – for – Disable/Enable – Start Temp setting – Speed Ratio – Speed Up/Down Response Time –
2. Also check BIOS Settings under – Power Management – ACPI – or APM -??
3. Check – Control Panel – for Power Options/Management Folder – or – Performance & Maintenance also check for – User Name – may have different/conflicting settings for different user or environment settings??
4. You may be in or using Standby Power – and the Voltage is lower & not developing enough starting torque – (similar, but different then next item) –
5. Depends on the size & starting torque of the fan – The output of the motherboard for the fan will be starting at low speed value – And the fans may not always start at this voltage?? You can manually try to give a slight push – just do not jam up –(This is done just to test for this condition-only) I give a cure for this later -
6. You have some other fan speed controller that either needs to be disabled or disconnected –
7. Ambient temperature is lower than start temperature of motherboard setting – Most of the times this is a factory set value with no user control – CPU fan will always run –
8. Check Fan connectors – they may not be secured properly
9. Check fan wiring – may have wire pinched under housing during installation – or has been caught on sharp corner ??
10. Do the fans have a switch for speed – sometimes these are slide switches & may be set in – No man’s Land – meaning an open position/ not seated properly?? Or the switch has an external position??
11. Fan just seized up – Kaput!

I am betting on #5 – (Probably overloading the motherboard fan control circuit)

The cure – remove the front fan from motherboard – Then connect to its own Peripheral Power Connector & let this fan run at full speed at all times – This should increase the motherboard fan starting power for so that the case fan will now start – It is better to have the case fan, which usually installed on/in the side panel, to run slower, in order to keep the air turbulence at a minimum – Many times this side fan is ineffective because of the air turbulence that it may cause – Just having Air louvers – cut in the side panel – to allow cooler air to enter is better in most cases – The Rear Exhaust Fan/s Speed is/are the critical speed – not the intake – The reason I said to increase the front fan – Is because that would usually be blowing air across the hard drives – And there is very little space for air to travel – and you do not want the hot air to build up –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 March 2007 - 03:53 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

01-AnthonyJ-[Fan not working]-25th MAR-2007

Assuming, from some of your earlier threads on fans, that these are new fans -

Here are a couple of ideas – for causes

1. Check your BIOS Settings – There may be some settings under something like – Hardware Monitor – for – Disable/Enable – Start Temp setting – Speed Ratio – Speed Up/Down Response Time –
2. Also check BIOS Settings under – Power Management – ACPI – or APM -??
3. Check – Control Panel – for Power Options/Management Folder – or – Performance & Maintenance also check for – User Name – may have different/conflicting settings for different user or environment settings??
4. You may be in or using Standby Power – and the Voltage is lower & not developing enough starting torque – (similar, but different then next item) –
5. Depends on the size & starting torque of the fan – The output of the motherboard for the fan will be starting at low speed value – And the fans may not always start at this voltage?? You can manually try to give a slight push – just do not jam up –(This is done just to test for this condition-only) I give a cure for this later -
6. You have some other fan speed controller that either needs to be disabled or disconnected –
7. Ambient temperature is lower than start temperature of motherboard setting – Most of the times this is a factory set value with no user control – CPU fan will always run –
8. Check Fan connectors – they may not be secured properly
9. Check fan wiring – may have wire pinched under housing during installation – or has been caught on sharp corner ??
10. Do the fans have a switch for speed – sometimes these are slide switches & may be set in – No man’s Land – meaning an open position/ not seated properly?? Or the switch has an external position??
11. Fan just seized up – Kaput!

I am betting on #5 – (Probably overloading the motherboard fan control circuit)

The cure – remove the front fan from motherboard – Then connect to its own Peripheral Power Connector & let this fan run at full speed at all times – This should increase the motherboard fan starting power for so that the case fan will now start – It is better to have the case fan, which usually installed on/in the side panel, to run slower, in order to keep the air turbulence at a minimum – Many times this side fan is ineffective because of the air turbulence that it may cause – Just having Air louvers – cut in the side panel – to allow cooler air to enter is better in most cases – The Rear Exhaust Fan/s Speed is/are the critical speed – not the intake – The reason I said to increase the front fan – Is because that would usually be blowing air across the hard drives – And there is very little space for air to travel – and you do not want the hot air to build up –

Jack123

these are the fans i have had, and they still work when connected to a power source just not from the mobo. also i have no fan controllers yet :/