Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Crash

• Please log in to reply

TATUPU51

TATUPU51

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

My computer crashed suddenly earlier this week... It wont boot up at all, and the hard drive just makes a scratching noise... I get the compaq screen at the start, with ESC, F2, F12 options, but just a blinking cursor after that... Eventually displays PXE-E61 Media test failed "operating system not found"...

I tried toshiba support cause they make the HD, they tried to get me to make a boot CD, but it didnt work... Tried microsoft for a fix, thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack

Any way to make a repair CD???

Oh, and by the way, I can barely turn the [bleep] thing on as it is, If you start talking all computer language jibberish, I wont understand what you are saying, so you'll be wasting your time... English please... Thanks

All I know is it's a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook... And it dont work.... Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your hard drive is probably kaput, a mechanical failure, at this stage you would be very lucky to get any files off it. Fortunately (I suppose) for you the price of 2.5" hard drives has dropped quite a bit so replacing it wont be so bad. Do you have an installation disk? What does HP/Compaqw say about replacing it?

TATUPU51

TATUPU51

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I never got to the replace stage yet... I was hoping to avoid that... That computer was a PITA anyway, but yes I'd like the files back... I'm not gonna spend the money for a new HD, think I'll take it apart.... Thanks