Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X-Box to PC Through Composite Cables Trouble.

• Please log in to reply

Zerachiel

Zerachiel

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not sure if this is posted in the right forum, but...

I'm using a PC with Windows Media Center Edition 2005, and I'm trying to play X-Box on my monitor. The X-Box is connected to the PC through Composite Cables, and Media Center recognizes it (somewhat). The trouble is, Media Center will only preview the X-Box dashboard when selecting the TV input as a composite input, not actually switch to composite input.

It keeps asking for a wireless connection, and I'm pretty sure that it's trying to let me access my PC media through my X-Box, but really, I just want it to play what's going into the composite input.

Is there software I can download, or a way to tweak Media Center to allow it to take a direct Composite connection and play it as if it were just a normal TV?
As of right now, I'm a bit hopeless.

If you need any more info, I'd be happy to provide it.

-Jon

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
what kind of pci card do you have with composite input? most are composite outputs

Zerachiel

Zerachiel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

what kind of pci card do you have with composite input? most are composite outputs

Zerachiel

Zerachiel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what it is. I'll have to check. I know it's a TV Tuner card that came with my Sony Vaio desktop. It's got Windows XP Media Center Edition, and it should be able to recieve TV input. I say this, because it's got both S-Video, Composite, and a regular (screw-in) cable cord input (not output). I'm sure it's not output, because I've been able to (barely) view the X-Box 360's dashboard.

The trouble is that Windows Media Center can view the input as a TINY real-time "preview" when selecting Composite Input while configuring the TV, but when I proceed with the setup, it won't go any farther without configuring a "Set Top Box" with infra-red components.

I'm thinking they want me to buy a Windows Media Extender, but for regular composite input, that shouldn't be necessary. I've been looking closer at the "preview" in Media Center, and like other third-party programs I've downloaded, it seems to have that same video lag. Not bad for watching movies, but where you need the quick response of a game controller, I think I need a program that doesn't record, and only plays directly from the composite input.

The software that came with my computer has trouble even recognizing the TV card at all, let alone switching to composite input.

Anyone know of any programs that do this? Recognizing a composite (red/white/yellow) input on a video card, and allowing a real-time picture to be viewed of the input? Either that, or any solution to this bump in the road?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
they make S-video to HDMI converters. This will require that you have the HDMI x-box connector though.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
alright, i had a pci tv tuner and sold it on ebay recently. irony? mine was a ati tv wonder, they had drivers and programs for it on the ati site. see if you can find out what brand the card is. if you go in device manager it should say the brand under i think video adaptors