Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to install windows xp

• Please log in to reply

spiderdran

spiderdran

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to re-install windows xp but unable to complete the process. Also at this time I am unable to restart the pc to the current windows xp in any mode including safe mode. When I put the installation disk in and turn on the pc, i go to boot from disk and the computer starts "configuring". After a few minutes this message appears:

"The file ql1240.sys is corrupted
press any key to continue"

So I press any key to continue and then it restarts the pc and does the same thing again..
All I want to do is format my c drive and re-install windows xp fresh on it but this is impossible at the moment.
Also, I am unable to get into dos mode (where from I thought I could format the c drive) but I can't do this either and not of the startup options work so the computer is broken to me at the moment.

Can anybody help with this problem?!!!?? please!!!

Advertisements

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

Unsure as to what is causing the inability to re-format your c drive with windows - but i'd use a partitioning software on c such as g-parted to format the drive first. That way, all data is gone and any corruption should be gone prior to your installation of windows on your c drive.

You can find gparted through a google search. if you create a boot cd - some already available to burn as an iso - you can do this outside of windows and should be able to get up and going in no time at all.

Stevie

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You do realize that a format will wipe out ALL data on the drive, unless you backed it up?

Do you know the manufacturer of your HD? If so, go to their site and download their tools. You can format and partition using the manufacturer tools. that is the best way to proceed.
If you dont know, we can help you with that.

Another way, if you have a floppy, is to use a 98 boot disk. Get it from BOOTDISK.COM

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks as if the installation disk might be corrupted. If you can, borrow a xp installation disk with the same version as yours (home edition, pro) and install. Use your product key when asked to do so. Please note 123runner's note about losing your data.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Before asking around, you may have a hidden partition somewhere hiding on the drive that is corrupting the installation of Windows.

Please click here to download BOOT AND NUKE. This will erase ALL hiding and existing partitions on the harddrive.

This is in ISO formatt so download a program like Infra Recorder to burn the image. Download Infra Recorder from here You burn the image onto a CD-R so you can boot off of it like you would with a Windows CD.

Also, make sure there are no finger prints or scratches on the CD. This will make the disk harder to read.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 25 March 2007 - 10:48 AM.

spiderdran

spiderdran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Before asking around, you may have a hidden partition somewhere hiding on the drive that is corrupting the installation of Windows.

Please click here to download BOOT AND NUKE. This will erase ALL hiding and existing partitions on the harddrive.

This is in ISO formatt so download a program like Infra Recorder to burn the image. Download Infra Recorder from here You burn the image onto a CD-R so you can boot off of it like you would with a Windows CD.

Also, make sure there are no finger prints or scratches on the CD. This will make the disk harder to read.

I have done the above but get stuck when I have to choose the drive I want to erase (using Boot and Nuke), I only want to format my c drive, my other drives contain data I don't want to loose or erase.. The drives are listed on the screen but with no markings I can recognize (ie. C drive)

how do I know which one is my c drive to format with boot and nuke?!?!?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you want to format your c drive only look at my previous post.

spiderdran

spiderdran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will try getting another windows xp disk, it was just easier for me download boot and nuke. Thanks