Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Problem

• Please log in to reply

snickers

snickers

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I have a desktop PC with XP, and I was previously able to recieve my emails through my internet service provider webpage (comcast) as well as recieve a copy on outlook express. Now that I have a new laptop with Vista, and set up windows mail, I recieve new emails only through comcast mail page on desktop (no longer through outlook), but on the laptop, the mail is in the windows mail and comcast both. How do I set up so that new mail is recieved in outlook on the XP desktop?
Also, another question- is there a way to copy email from the XP to Vista?

Edited by snickers, 25 March 2007 - 08:35 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
On the copy of Outlook Express which is receiving your email okay, go to "Tools->Accounts". Highlight your mail account then click the "Export" button. Save the exported file to a floppy or usb flash-drive.

On the other computer (where OE cannot get your mail), Open OE, go to Tools->Accounts. Click the "mail" tab. Click the "Import" button.
Import the file you just exported from the other PC. Click "Close" to close the accounts box. You should now be able to send and receive mail on this PC also.

Sorry, cannot help you with copying stuff over to Vista -- I don't have it. neither do I use OE anymore, as it's much easier to back up mail and import mail with the full Microsoft Outlook so I use that instead. With OE, backing up or copying data over to another copy of OE (other than the mail account settings) is a flipping pain in the neck.

Edited by pip22, 25 March 2007 - 10:06 AM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Deleted. Duplicate Post. (stupid G2G server!)

Edited by pip22, 25 March 2007 - 09:55 AM.

snickers

snickers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

On the copy of Outlook Express which is receiving your email okay, go to "Tools->Accounts". Highlight your mail account then click the "Export" button. Save the exported file to a floppy or usb flash-drive.

On the other computer (where OE cannot get your mail), Open OE, go to Tools->Accounts. Click the "mail" tab. Click the "Import" button.
Import the file you just exported from the other PC. Click "Close" to close the accounts box. You should now be able to send and receive mail on this PC also.

I tried importing the file (that I exported from the PC where OE receives my email), and got an error that the import did not complete because an error occured. The file's name that I am trying to import is Active Directoy.iaf

snickers

snickers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I am finally receiving mail in outlook express, but can not send mail. I get the following error:
"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"
Is there anything I can do to solve problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is OE set like this

http://www.comcast.n...x.jsp?faq=17686

Have you tried the One Click Fix?

snickers

snickers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Well, I changed the setting for outgoing mail to smtp.comcast.net, and I can now send messages (before it was set to local host), but I can no longer recieve messages.The incoming mail is set to mail.comcast.net (POP3).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is a One Click Fix option from the link

snickers

snickers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thanks for the help. Everything is working okay now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know