Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System freezes after 15-20 min

• Please log in to reply

jwill58

jwill58

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I start my new built(my sig is my sys)PC and after about 20 min (I notice this happens most often while Im away)I come back to my PC and the mouse will move but there is no response. I can restart and all is well. Its not the heat.(CPU is 32C and GPU is 67C) These are working temps.I remember some users saying the newest BIOS(v1.3) will cause some problems. Has anyone any experience with this m/b and bios ? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
jwill58

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-jwill58-[System Freeze]-25th MAR-2007

jwill58 – Welcome to Geeks to Go –

the mouse will move but there is no response. I can restart and all is well. Its not the heat.(CPU is 32C and GPU is 67C)

This sounds more like a conflict issue or high CPU Usage – more than a System Freeze – A true system freeze is where CPU shuts down & mouse will not move –

Here are some ideas to obtain some more data on issue - to help narrow the possibilities

Next time you start PC – Open Task Manager & then minimize to system start tray – (Bottom right corner) -

Keep track of CPU Usage – How many process are running –

What firewall & antivirus programs do you use – how many are running in background -

Also are you using a Temp/voltage Monitor Utility – that you can constantly measure the temperatures – If not download SpeedFan –

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Ok while monitoring Temp – Tax the graphics by playing games or do an intense display action- to get graphics temp to rise & see if your cpu usage increases and loose mouse movement -

What type mouse are you using –

1. PS/2
2. USB
3. Wireless

You say this is a new build – Try shutting down – Then remove Graphics card & reseating – Sometimes it does not always seat correctly on slot – Same with memory cards – try reseating them -

Next check the Graphic’s Card Fan for proper rotation - 67° C is pretty warm – You should keep the 1st Expansion Slot open in order to permit fan some breathing room –

Also if you have a side fan blowing in – this may be causing air turbulence & causing higher Graphic Card Temperature – Also try to cleanup cable arrangement – can get kind of congested –

Open Device Manager

1. Right Click My Computer
2. Move cursor to Properties
3. Open Properties Pageby double clicking
4. Click Hardware Tab
5. Click Device Manager
6. Expand Display Adapter Folder or Video/Graphics Folder
7. Double Click Graphics to Open
8. Click Resources Tab & record IRQ
9. Expand Mice/Other Pointing devices Folder
10. Double Click Mouse Folder to Open
11. Click on [b]Resource Folder
& record IRQ
12. Are Mouse & Graphics have same IRQ? – sometimes USB Mouse will share IRQ

Check that you have the latest drivers for Graphic’s & Mouse Driver –

Next – review these links – on Over-clocking -

http://www.geekstogo...ned-t62176.html

http://www.geekstogo...-To-t11177.html

That is for starters – and are intended as ideas to capture some symptoms to investigate or obtain a starting point

Perhaps someone else can give some more ideas – to track down -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 March 2007 - 05:13 PM.

jwill58

jwill58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Lots of questions ! First , I have a monitor for the temps of both the CPU and the GPU. Its Dual Core Center. This K9N Diamond has some very cool perks. My problem turned out to be a BIOS update. I have no more freeze ups ! My GPU temps have me a little worried (GPU 64C and CPU 40C)but there is nothing on either side of my card. Its (notice my SIG) an MSI GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb(which is fully enclosed)and even if I had a side blowing fan(I dont)it would have no effect on its airflow. My case is large enough(TT SHARK) with a 120 fan on front and back with the airflow going in that direction(in the front, out the back). I dont want to water cool so do I have any options ?
54 processes are running as I write this.CPU load is at 6%. I did notice last night while playing FEAR at max settings my GPU was at 74C-this was after 1 hour while my GPU and CPU were o/c'd . My 2.8ghz was @3.0ghz and my GPU (normal =575mhz & 1.8ghz )goes to 600mhz & 1.9ghz. This isnt much of an overclock but it it automatically done with my Dual Core Center.
As this was a new build-I have updated all my drivers and have downloaded new editions of all my apps which affect most of the important functions for this PC. Im a little hesitant to adjust too much more for fear of over-compensating .
I know I should be satisfied with this way cool machine-the only thing I fear now is the heat you mentioned and I do have a Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 cooler attached to my AMD CPU with Artic silver(one dot). I have tried to do this build the right way.
Am I missing anything ?
Thank you for all of your insight-any advice is appreciated !
jwill58

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-jwill58-[System Freeze]-26th MAR-2007

Lots of questions !

Yes – It was to get you think -

My problem turned out to be a BIOS update. I have no more freeze ups !

Looks as if you did some thinking!

I did notice last night while playing FEAR at max settings my GPU was at 74°C-this was after 1 hour while my GPU and CPU were o/c'd

Yeah that is what concerned me –(GPU 64°C and CPU 40°C) at idle. GPU was at 74°C-this was after 1 hour. What was the temperature range of the CPU? The CPU is probably ok – Looking at the CPU fan that you are using – has normal 3-pin connection. But the GPU fan looks like a 4-pin PWM – Pulse Width Modulation – Wind Tunnel Cooler.

You did not mention Fan speed with the temperatures – Can you give me – Min –Max – Temp & RPM of each CPU & GPU –
You can download Speedfan from this link – for temperature & fans speed monitoring to collect the data. It will also measure core voltage for overclocking as well -
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

You will probably find that the CPU Fan will have a wider rpm range than the GPU Fan – This because of the PWM Fan running much slower – That is because of the – REGEN Action – when they try to slow the fan down from high speeds – It will send 24 Volt spikes back into the line - & kill everything! – So they have to clamp the maximum fan speed voltage to around 6 volts – so 1900 rpm will be the highest GPU fan speed – I would guess – The CPU would be around 3500 rpm.

It probably is ok for now. But as your cooling deteriorates, the GPU Temps will kill the card –

Let me see the GPU fan speeds at 74°C – and at 64°C – Probably not much difference. And I expect a bigger difference in the CPU Fan –

What is the guarantee on this card? What is a replacement or trade in worth – They spend a lot of time talking about the heat sink technology – but not a whole lot on fan cooling – Wonder why???

Give me the – Temp & speed Data – I will give you some options – after I see the data

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 March 2007 - 10:16 PM.