Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP Compaq dc7700p I got home from the office. because it was set up for the office network I have reinstalled windows XP.
In device manager I am getting message that the following drivers are not installed.

Ethernet controller
PCI Device
PCI simple communications controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatable)

All I got from our IT at the office was a HP Compaq diagnostic CD they said would load all the drivers needed and this is saying everything is ok but I have no network and no USB access.
When I try to reinstall I get the message the wizard could not find the software on my computer.

I would be grateful for any help.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I would recommend you go to the HP site (HP owns Compaq) and download the network drivers. Use another computer to burn the drivers to disk. Use that to get your computer online then finish the rest of the downloads\drive installs from your computer.
If the IT did not come down and install the drivers himself I believe you will just be on your own. The first thing to simplify this problem is to get online. Once you are online you have resources.

Compaq DC7700p Drivers

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The easiest way to get the drivers is to download and save them on another computer, burn them to a cd or copy them on a flash memory (disk on key) and install them on your computer. It looks as if you have an old version of xp otherwise you should have drivers for usb 2.0 as part of xp. After installing the drivers run windows update.