Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering programs from one SATA II drive to another?

• Please log in to reply

JSlayer

JSlayer

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello Everyone,

I just built my first computer with the help of many of the fine people here on G2G! It works great and I decided to buy a new harddrive for it. I bought a second Seagate SATA II Baracuda. I read somewhere in my travels that its better to have your operating system on one drive and all of your games and stuff on another drive for better gaming performance. So I guess my question is two fold.

1. Is this even true, do you get better gaming performance if your game files and OS files are on seperate SATA II drives?

2. If so, is there a way to transfer entire PROGRAMS, not just files over to another SATA II drive?

I know with an IDE you can do the master slave thing to get some of the files from an old HD, but you can't do PROGRAMS. I already tried just copying the entire folder over to the other drive and then deleting the original file but all the desktop shorcuts still point to the original folder and won't run the program.

I also tried reinstalling the games on the other drive but when you load the disk or click on the .exe file it just prompts you to uninstall the version you have on the C drive, which is my original SATA II drive. Some of these games took 4-5 hours of patch downloading just to get them current and playable so I'd like to avoid deleting them off my original drive and doing the whole reinstall thnig if possible.

Thanks for your time and any help offered is greatly appreciated,

JSlayer

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Some games yes, some games no. It depends how they've been coded, but most will use files that are on the main drive as well as their own game files on the secondary drive.

2) Not without reinstalling them from the original installation source. You can't transfer programs full-stop regardless of whether the drive is IDE or SATA.

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

1) Some games yes, some games no. It depends how they've been coded, but most will use files that are on the main drive as well as their own game files on the secondary drive.

2) Not without reinstalling them from the original installation source. You can't transfer programs full-stop regardless of whether the drive is IDE or SATA.

Ok that makes my decision pretty easy then. I don't want to deal with the whole reinstall excercise if there isn't some type of noticable performance gain for my games. So I guess I'll just leave the second drive formatted as my F drive and I can store stuff on it when my first drive gets full. I don't know why I'm trying so hard to get the extra little performance gains because my system ROCKS right now. No lag ever! Thanks inpart to some of the advice I got here on this forum. Thanks so much for your time Neil.

JSlayer