Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading video card

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello,

I currently have a HP a1240n and I would like to upgrade the video card. This computer currently has integrated video but unfortunately, the computer has no AGP or PCI Express slots that I could use to upgrade. However, it does have regular PCI slots and I was interested in buying this card - http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1603

Do you guys think it's worth it even though it's just PCI? I'd just like better performance and also something with S-Video which is why I'm upgrading.

Thanks

Edited by Deven, 25 March 2007 - 12:14 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PCI cards aren't very good and the FX5200 card, even in AGP, wasn't very good. But if you don't want to play any computer games and want it just to make use of the S-Video out, it'll do that no problem.

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

PCI cards aren't very good and the FX5200 card, even in AGP, wasn't very good. But if you don't want to play any computer games and want it just to make use of the S-Video out, it'll do that no problem.

Yeah, I'm not a big gamer. The only game that I occasionally play is Unreal Tournament GOTY edition (yes, old school) and that runs smooth on my current integrated.

Edited by Deven, 25 March 2007 - 02:33 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would go with the FX 5500 for $5 more. http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1603

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I think for gaming you will have the lowest quality, but not so low that you can't even play, playable with minimum performance.

If its a Pentium 4/Celeron socket 478 motherboard you have then its possible to upgrade to a better computer with just replacing the motherboard and buying a descent AGP graphics card, the motherboards are cheap these days.

Heres a sample combo:

Graphics Card

Motherboard

I'm just using tigerdirect cause thats where I thought you are buying your stuff from.

Edited by SOORENA, 26 March 2007 - 05:17 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I'm just gonna post my reply here instead of PM you so that everyone can see and possible learn something. That graphics card will be much better than you're current HP onboard graphics. HP and other brand name computers tend to hide their motherboards. My cousin's looks like an Asus but I doubt it is. Therefore I don't know the motherboard model as they tend to not mention what it is.

Overall the graphic card I mentioned will handle most you're games and it will be much faster and better quality than you're current model.

Edited by SOORENA, 27 March 2007 - 06:02 AM.