Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Installation order? and a Win98 question.

• Please log in to reply

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey, it's been a long time since I reformatted my pc.

Anyways, I've been wondering: what's the recommended order to install your drivers, the service pack, etc. ?

I know of 2 ways:

a) windows xp + sp2, chipset drivers, processor drivers, sata drivers, directx, graphics drivers, sound drivers, lan drivers, updates

b) windows xp, chipset drivers, processor drivers, sata drivers, directx, graphics drivers, sound drivers, lan drivers, service pack,

So, uhm which is the recommended way? After all, prevention is better than cure, is it not?

Also, would you suggest dual booting Win98 or running Win98 off a virtual machine? There're some very old games I want to play again but they don't really function well with DOSbox. Edit: I'll probably look up some good freeware titles for virtual machines.

Thank you! :whistling:
Yuri

Edited by Chicken mania, 25 March 2007 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Normally I gather the drivers before reformatting using something like driver magician(thirty day trial version) to be safe, then I check that I have copies of all my programs, their license keys, etc., then I go for it reformatting and reinstalling everything, then I install drivers, then programs and then finally I do the SP2 and updates.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had problems with some software when i installed the software before installing SP2. I now install the OS, the chipset drivers, then SP2, then all Updates. After that i install the programs i want on the computer. I then use Acronis True image to make my own Recovery Disk . By using Acronis i am able to install the OS in the future with all updates and software already installed.

A side note is that if you have to replace the HD or some hardware, reinstalling with Acronis will give you some error messages and you will have to work them out.

I prefer to keep a win 98 computer around for use with older programs. I have had problems with win 98 in a dual boot system that has over 512 MB of memory( all my newer systems do) and faster MB chipset's that Win 98 has no drivers for.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 25 March 2007 - 08:15 PM.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Normally I gather the drivers before reformatting using something like driver magician(thirty day trial version) to be safe, then I check that I have copies of all my programs, their license keys, etc., then I go for it reformatting and reinstalling everything, then I install drivers, then programs and then finally I do the SP2 and updates.

Cool, that's a good way of checking for your drivers and programs. :blink:

I have had problems with some software when i installed the software before installing SP2. I now install the OS, the chipset drivers, then SP2, then all Updates. After that i install the programs i want on the computer. I then use Acronis True image to make my own Recovery Disk . By using Acronis i am able to install the OS in the future with all updates and software already installed.

A side note is that if you have to replace the HD or some hardware, reinstalling with Acronis will give you some error messages and you will have to work them out.

I prefer to keep a win 98 computer around for use with older programs. I have had problems with win 98 in a dual boot system that has over 512 MB of memory( all my newer systems do) and faster MB chipset's that Win 98 has no drivers for.

SRX660

So, uhhh... you mean by chipset drivers and all other drivers?

Hmm, so it's not recommended to install your service pack + updates before you've installed your chipset and other drivers, then?

Hmmm... ugh, I totally forgot about that. Too bad I don't have an older computer, though. :whistling:

Edited by Chicken mania, 26 March 2007 - 11:44 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Dual boot 98
There is an upgrade on microsoft for faster machines to run 98
or this
Click on me
Cheers
peterm

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ooh... thank you so much. Yes, the idea of Virtual pc only occured to me about 3 hrs ago... lol.

Nevertheless, thank you so much!

Btw, guys, if my floppy drive isn't working and I want to avoid pressing F6 during the WinXP installation, will slipstreaming sp2 help me?

If not, what else should I try?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
I think you will find the floppy will work.
If you want to test it before you reformat go to device manger remove the floppy drive reboot so it gets picked up again and see if it works. You really do not need to reboot just refresh will pick it up again
Cheers
peterm

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I think you will find the floppy will work.
If you want to test it before you reformat go to device manger remove the floppy drive reboot so it gets picked up again and see if it works. You really do not need to reboot just refresh will pick it up again
Cheers
peterm

Thank you! :whistling:

Hmmm... well, I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the floppy drive, Windows XP still can't read any of the disks and same with reading the disk in cmd.exe Even Firefox also can't read it, either.

I think I'm going to try and boot into Dos mode afterwards and see if the floppy drive really works. However, I've some doubts though and I think I'd rather skip the issue of attaching a floppy drive(it's been too many years since I really touched any hardware) and none of my software requires a floppy.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well, I just tried running the WinXP installation disc and slotted in my SATA drivers disk, just to check my floppy drive. No go. Then, I created yet another disk on a laptop with the same drivers. Well, that didn't work either. Tried this a few more times and the conclusion is that the floppy drive has gone kaput.

However, I don't really have any time to bring the pc to some repair shop which is about a 3 to 4 hour drive away from my house. There aren't any computer shops near my place , either, or I would purchase a floppy cleaning kit. And although I know there're floppy alignment utilities, those're really expensive and totally a waste of money for a one-time use. ><;;

Ah well, looks like I'll have to start searching for a guide to integrating SATA into a WinXP image.

Edited by Chicken mania, 27 March 2007 - 12:01 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
What are the sata drives on now only the hard disk I assume
can you do it via usb and can you read a usb at that point it is possible as some computers now boot from usb
Also look at this
Click on me
or this one
Click me also
May not be your drives but shows the method
One more from MS
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 27 March 2007 - 01:55 AM.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Whoa, thank you for all those links! :whistling:

Edit: Aha, I've stumbled upon Bashrat's driver packs. I'll slipstream sp2 first and then the SATA drivers.

Edited by Chicken mania, 27 March 2007 - 08:18 PM.