Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why do i have these Folders in my C drive?

• Please log in to reply

mosdef

mosdef

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
hey guys i could use a little help
when i go to my computer than to my C drive, i have aabout 70 folder with random letters and numbers , such as:

0be6935d38929e239431b3fd.

when i click on properties, they are all different dates created usually around 4:00am.

when i click on one of the folders, each one containts a Text Document that will have letters such as "msxml4-KB927978-enu"

i thought this might be an error so i ran the Housecall virus scanner but it came up with nothing

any ideas what these are, and how to get rid of them without them coming back?

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
MS06-071: Security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0

Security update package 927978 may create a log file. The package names the log file KB927978.log. The package saves the log file inside a folder. The folder has a system generated name. The folder is in the root of a system drive. The path resembles the following:
C:\system generated name\KB927978.log.
Note In this example, C is system drive.

Although it is optional, you can remove the log file and the folder.

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i see, so its actually not a virus. good to know

is there any way to adjust it so these security updates are not saved...or at least saved in a different folder where they're not spread out all over my C drive?