Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transferring vista to another drive

• Please log in to reply

vista

vista

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i currently have xp and vista installed on separate partitions of the same drive.
i just bought a new drive and i want to transfer the contents of the partition containing vista onto the new drive, then delete the partition, leaving vista on its own drive and xp on its own drive, with each drive having only one partition
im ok sorting the patititons out i have gparted live cd that fine, but how much is going to mess up when i transfer vista on to the new drive? i assume the boot manager will screw up but i know how to fix that as it screwed up when i installed xp after vista, i will remove it by doing fixboot in xp, then put it back on using the vista dvd and the command prompt ive done that before.
but can i just paste the contents of the vista partition onto the new drive through windows? (would do it in xp due to ridiculous security in vista) or if that wouldnt work could i just ghost the partition onto the new drive? if so what free program can i use, dont want to buy one as it doesnt need doing urgently and i would probably never use it again
i know if i did the same in xp i would probably need to re-activate, i dont mind doing that as my vista is legal and everything but is it going to screw a lot up?
ps i dont want to move xp i only want to move vista i realise it would probably be easier moving xp but i want to keep it on this drive
can anyone help? thanks

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
just clone it there using cloning progs for example true image.