Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error in bootup/logon

• Please log in to reply

lost dog

lost dog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My son,who is terminally ill, has a big problem. His xp starts the setup, then shows an error message-"A problem is keeping Windows from accurately checking for the license for this computer". The numarical identity that is listed on this message is"0x80070005". I cannot find anything at microsoft.com that relates to this code.

He did not have Recovery commander on when this happened.It is possible to inter into safe mode, but no joy there as I cannot reboot without getting same loop. What next? (Please bare in mind that I am a newby at all of this-break it down,please.)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Check WindowsUpdate.log file for something like this:

Handler FATAL: 0x80070005: ERROR: Remote update handler container process created (PID: 1180), but exited before signaling event

Type in WindowsUpdate.log from Start/Run window and click OK.

This error is caused by a DCOM access problem on the machine. The root problem is usually one of two things:

First Possible Cause: An incompatible default DCOM impersonation level.

To verify that your default level is appropriate and fix the problem, follow these steps (pick the one for your PC):

On a Windows 2000 machine:
1) launch "dcomcnfg.exe"
2) choose "Default Properties"
3) in the "Default Impersonation Level" combo box (at the bottom), choose "Impersonate" or "Identify".

On a Windows XP SP2 machine:
1) launch "dcomcnfg.exe"
2) navigate to "Component Services\Computers\My Computer"
3) right click on "DCOM Config" and choose "Properties"
4) choose the "Default Properties" tab
5) select "Impersonate" or "Identify".

If you have a specfic need to choose "Delegate" you choose that option as well, but I would not recommend it as the default choice if it is not required.

Second Possible Cause: Corrupt default access permisisons on the machine

It is possible for the default DCOM access permissions on the machine to be corrupted. This can sometimes happen if the DCOMCnfg tool is used to view or edit the default access permission ACLs.

You can check for this situation and resolve this issue by doing the following:

NOTE: Backup the Registry to your Desktop so you can find it again should you have to do this.

1. launch regedit.exe
2. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Ole
3. Look for the value "DefaultAccessPermission" (NOT DefaultLaunchPermission)

If this value exists, it is possible that the value has been corrupted or is incorrect. If you don't have the need for specific default permissions, you can restore the original permissions on the machine by deleting this value (do not delete the entire reg key, just that one value.)

This may not be the absolute solution to your problem. Here's a related solution for Windows Genuine Advantage (KB905474) error 0x80070005. This is pretty complicated and I've never had to do it. Possibly someone with more experience with this will post here, too.

Ron