Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Startup Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

raptorms

raptorms

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First of all i have A dualboot system XP/Vista so i have ruled any hardware failure because im using vista right now

Okay now i try to load Windows xp and it shows the loads screen and it goes for like minute or two then the machine restarts and same thing happens again now to clarify i get no further than the load screen and this Xp is pretty new i installed it like two weeks ago. Oh and i can go into safe mode on the Xp part
If anyone can thanks in advanced

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can get into safemode on the XP partition...then i'd be inclined to point at a driver (possibly a video driver?) can you try checking/updating the video drivers?

raptorms

raptorms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i did reinstall the video driver and it did't seem to work
same symptoms continue

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Must of corrupted something while installing Vista...

DO you have your XP CD?

raptorms

raptorms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I do have my Xp Cd. but i was trying not to have to reinstall everything it sort of a pain.
But also had heard from a guy who works in micro center (local computer store) that having two operating systems in the same hard drive (on two partitions) would cause peoblems. He said this after i told them that while booting Vista after in Vista a message would come saying that one of my hard drives (D:) was going to fail or in bad shape and it asked me if i wanted to back up my things so i did and then ran the disk check utility and it reported no problems so then i started to think that maybe the drive letters where the ones causing these problems becasuse i checked disk management and
(D/C:) says Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition) and i know this drive has no system installed on it Oh and
(F/E:) only Says Healthy (Primary Partition) and both these drives are only for storage
(Xp E/D:) Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
(Vista C/F:) Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
So is there any truth to any of my conclusions and the computer guys?

I have 3 Hard Drives
Letters assinged to the drives While In certain O/S---------- Vista Xp
Samsung 250 gig (232 partition size)--------------------------(D:) (C:)
Samsung 250 gig (232 partition size) -------------------------(F:) (E:)
(78.1 Xp Pro)--------------------------------(E:) (D:)
Samsung 160 gig {
(70.9 vista)----------------------------------(C:) (F:)

raptorms

raptorms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried Starting it Several times and iit finally game an error massage(Blue Screen)

Technical Information:
***Stop : 0x000000D1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xBA613335)
***nvata.sys - Adress BA613335 base at B602000, Datestamp 428a9013

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Did you install XP before Vista? Because I think if you install a newer OS before an old one, it can cause problems. Also, if you have the XP CD, you could do a repair installation. It will just reinstall the system files over the old ones. Read through this.

http://www.geekstogo...ir installation

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 31 March 2007 - 01:51 PM.