Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Method of Merging Partitions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I have Windows X64 but I believe this will work with a 32-bit OS also.

I had 3 partitions (C, D and E) on my hard drive and wanted to eliminate the 3rd one because it served no purpose and I needed more room in my 2nd partition. I thought that by eliminating the 3rd partition, it would open or give the memory to the 2nd partition but it didn't do that. It only made it inaccessible.

The solution:

Any data in the partitions will be lost when they're merged so it has to be saved somewhere else first.

Since my E drive was inaccessible because I had already deleted it. I saved the data that was in partition D to another drive.

The next step was to delete partition D.

The next step is to right click on one of the partitions and click on "Make Logical Drive." It'll tell you how much free memory is available on the drive, click "OK" and the two partitions are merged.

I now have 2 partitions that are accessible. My C partition remained intact since it wasn't involved. My D partition now contains all of the memory that was in both partitions.

I want to spread this information around as much as possible because it's the solution that Windows created and programs such as Partition Magic are making a fortune off of people not knowing it.

Denise

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This solution does work, but what gives Partition Magic the edge is that it can do this but also let you resize your main partition to fill up the space left behind by your taking the second and third ones out. You can only do this in Windows from the CD and then you lose the lot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...s...=153157&hl= Duplicate