Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Windows open slowly and should I delete.

• Please log in to reply

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello to all.I have had Road runner for a few weeks now,am enjoying it.
As of a day or 2 ago, any time a new window is opening, it takes forever to come up,and forever to close.It starts when I
actually turn on Microsoft explorer,and then anytime I click a link that opens a new window,it takes up to a minute to come up,but if I am going from one site to another,it goes very fast, as it should. Dont know whats happening,hoping it can be fixed.

Secondly,While in the add and remove section of my computer,I noticed that one program was exceptionally big.
While most average anywhere between 1 mb to 250 mb's, Microsoft Office standard edition 2003 is 4,092 MB's.I am
wondering if I can uninstall it without it hurting my computer,and is there anything I must have to replace it.Seeing as this
is bigger than almost all the other programs combined,I am guessing its taking up alot of space on my computer.

I also have something called "Fate demo" which I have no idea what it is,but it takes up over 200mb's.Anyone know what it is,and if I can uninstall it?

Thanks alot.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Office standard even with a run all from the computer install should be nearer 600MB and certainly under 1GB

If you run the fate demo, does it have anything like this

" In this demo of Fate you arrive in the fabled forest town of Grove. Once there, you can get tips and quests from the townsfolk to go into the Dungeon Gate and take a hold of your destiny. "

http://media.ultimat....com/files/665/

Being a demo it should expire so if it is a game, and one you will not go on to buy, it can be uninstalled

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the reply Keith.I deleted Fate,as I dont play any games on my computer.

About the microsoft office package,do you know why it is so large.According to you(and I trust you) that it should be atleast under 1 GB, but mine is 4 GB.Also,after just checking it out it on the "All programs" menu,I think its only a 60 day trial.
Also,the only thing I use from it,is the writer,but I already have Notepad,Wordpad and Office writer,so I dont think I need it.

Just wanted to confirm that I could delete it without problems,and to make sure I dont need it.
What do you think?

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is from a complete / run all from computer install of Office 2003 Pro which will have additional programmes

[attachment=13650:Screensh...19_48_07.png]

Check with the vendor that it is a trial, if so, you can remove it

Two alternatives are

http://www.openoffice.org/

http://www.computera.../sun-staroffice (161MB download so check it has features you can use)

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks again for the reply Keith.

I actually just downloaded openoffice.org on my computer a few days ago.
I have noticed that I have a few programs called Microsoft office.One says microsoft office(60 day trial) another says
Microsoft office powerpoint viewer 2003.I will ask someone at Microsoft or Hp support if its okay.

Any idea about the new windows opening so slow? Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if this helps

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor