Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Windows to Open up -Help

• Please log in to reply

Zayness

Zayness

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I just some how have it set back to when i open it window it does not open a new window but instead just opens the tabs on top of each other.

How do i change it in Windows so when i open new pages they open not over the other one but in a new window?

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Zayness.

To have each folder open in its own window when using Windows Explorer, open My Computer, click Tools menu, Folder Options. On the General tab, Browse Folders section, select "Open each folder in its own window." That should do it.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I did have that checked - it seems to not be the folders on my computer doing it - those open in new windows but only the internet/web pages that open on top of each other.

The new explorer is doing that i believe they open in tabs but i don't like it doing that. Is there a way to change the settings.

Ex. When i'm in yahoo mail & i click on a link someone sent in an e-mail it opens the page of the link & then i have to hit back button to get to my mail again or if i click to close the page it closes my mail too.

Driving me nuts.

Thanks, Z

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Shame on me for not asking if you were talking about IE7. I had it in the back of my mind, but since you posted in Windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT forum instead of Web Browsers and Email and didn't specify any program at all, I went with Windows Explorer.

Okay, so you're having issues with tabbed browsing in IE7.

See this Google Group thread on troubleshooting IE7 tabbed browsing.

What is your operating system?

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Window's xp