Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

floppy question

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I know the question. Who still uses floppys?

Well I have an old embroidery machine that works off of DOS. I transfer the floppy's to my XP version computer in the other office in order to send files back and forth to my customers. My problem is, sometimes, not all the time, when I put the floppy into the XP computer, it states that the disk needs formatting. If I remove and put it back in the DOS computer, it recognizes the files immediately. I have about 20 disks like this that are not full, but, all have some files on them. Whenever I get this error message, I simply install a new floppy, copy the file and it works correctly in the XP machine.

Anybody have any ideas how to overcome this problem?

Thank you

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Three things i can think of doing here.

1. Copy all the floppys permanently to your computers in a folder.
2. After copying the files to the computer burn a CD of the files for a long lasting backup.
3. Buy a flash drive and keep all the files on the flash drive to move from one computer to another.

As soon as the computer companys brought out CD burners, i immediately switched from floppys to CD's for backup's of files. I have lost way too many files to floppy's gone bad. I have at least 200 floppys still laying around and many of them have data i cannot access anymore.I would never trust them for any data anymore.

Something you might be interested in is Microsofts Programs for having a home file server system that could be accessed fro the internet by any computer. It might come in handy for customers.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
A handy little bit if freeware that I use with floppies is rawwritewin.exe, it lets me save the image file of a floppy and then use it to write another identical floppy. This is more dependable than copying from one floppy to another and also backs up the data to another format.