Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Unrecognised devices in USB ports

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have recently purchased my second Acer Notebook. This operates on Windows XP and I am unable to install any devices that connect to the USB ports. I firstly tried my printer with the disc supplied, when this did not work I tried the download from the Lexmark website but no joy either.

I then tried my MP3 player, which did not have a disc supplied, nor does the manufacturer (iitronics) have a download available. It's as though the laptop knows there is a device connected but is unable to detect what it is.

Are there any settings I can change or downloads available that could rectify this situation?

Kindest regards, LA.[/font][/font]

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Most USB devices, (with the exception of printers and scanners) don't need their own drivers, but the built-in USB controllers do and these are usually supplied by Windows from the install CD. You could try uninstalling the usb controllers from Device manager then rebooting to forcr Windows to re-detect and re-install them.