Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet running so slow on reformatted computer

• Please log in to reply

Zayness

Zayness

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Our hard drive crashed on our gateway computer & we had to reload the operating system once again

(Windows XP)

The computer is running find but when you try to open e-mail or web sites it opens so slow but the connection speed shows fast.

Is there something i need to adjust or some way to fix this? The computer is hooked up via wire thru a home network.

Thanks, Z

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How many computers are connected to the home network? When the others are offline is your computer still slow?

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
There are total of 3 computers, the main one, then the one that is running slow is the one that we reloaded the operating system to & since then we've had trouble (windows xp) and then we have a laptop that runs wireless.

When using the lap top or the main computer they are not slow, just the one that is hooked via wire & that had crashed totally last week & we had to start over on it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What procedure did you take, a rpair installation of xp or a clean format and full installation.

Please go: start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all . Now type ping, keep one space and then type the ip of default gateway shown in the previous command. please report if 4 packets were sent and 4 packet received. Report speed as shown in ms (milliseconds).

Connect the laptop to the same cable that was used for the "bad" computer. repeat the commands and report. We want to compare the two to make sure that the problem is with the computer and not with some other piece of hardware.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
clean format & full installation

will do ping test for you

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Look thru some of these suggestions.

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have done all the clean up things to the computer - it connects to online games quickly just doesn't open up web pages - takes forever for web pages to open. Use to work fine before the hard drive crashed & had to reload the operating system. Also when i run speed tests on the internet it says its great speed and shows faster than most.

So that's why i figured it must be something to do with reinstalling the windows xp on the computer when the hard drive crashed.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't believe the problem is hardware related. Please enter IE > tools > internet iotions. Click the security tab and set all zones to fefault level. Set privacy to default level. In "advanced" please restore defaults. any difference?

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
In Advanced at the bottom should i do the part where it says:

Reset IE Settings, deletes all temp files, disables browser add ons & resets all changed settings

*should only use this if browser is in an unusable state

hit "Reset"

then reboot computer

Should i do that or no??? Thanks!

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Here is the ping info from the Gateway that is running so slow - its driving me nuts cuz it takes forever to open anything up but internet connection is fine. Ahhhhhhhh can i scream now???

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Karen>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GATEWAY
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8050 PCI-E ASF Giga
bit Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-47-69-EC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.144
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:08:42 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:08:42 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Karen>ping 192.168.0.144

Pinging 192.168.0.144 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.144: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.144:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Connection looks ok.

Do you run IE 7 or IE 6? IE 7 give some users lots of problems. Go to add/remove programs in control panel. Remove IE 7. This will roll you back yo IE 6.

If it's IE 6: go to tools > internet options > advanced: There should be only one option restore defaults. Click ok.

Is there any firewall installed other then Microsoft's? If yes, disable it temporarilly. What real time protection programs are you using? Try to disable for a few minutes and try the internet.

Go to: In IE > tools > internet options > connections. Recreate your intenet connection. Click setup and a wizard will open up.

If still no good download and install Firefox. See if it gives better results.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Also when i started from scratch on that Gateway we bought it back in 2003 from Bestbuy so i'm sure the reinstall of the operating systems & programs on the disk they gave us from gateway are old. I noticed some drivers that needed updating but would this cause it to open up web pages slowly? Do i have to download lots of updates to get it to 2007 for drivers & windows???

Also i had installed a new graphics card that was not in the computer when we bought it - would i have to reload the cd for that or would the computer find it automatically?

Thanks!

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Do you recommend the explorer 7.0, 6.0 or Firefox ??? What are better results achieved with & less computer problems?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Personally I use IE6. I don't upgrade to IE7 because, in my opinion, It has really nothing of importance and it creates lots of problems. Firefox is excellent and is very easy to use. I don't change to Firefox because it's more convenient to me to have IE6 in front of me when assissting other people.

Regarding drivers and updates for your computer: I certainly recommend downloading all updates available at Windows Update, excluding IE7. Re drivers: Enter control panel > system > hardware > device manager. If there are no question or exclamation marks in the list of drivers then you are set. On the whole, I am a very little believer in updating drivers. My approach is that if the system works well then don't touch it because you won't get any benefit from the updating and there is reasonable chance that you mess up the computer.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok another ? about updating the drivers

When i got to hardware devices it comes up with Ethernet Controller:
Marvell Yukon 88E8050 PCI-E ASF Gigabit Ethernet Controller
& drivers are updated & no ? marks etc.

But under that it says again Ethernet Controller:
? mark then Ethernet controller (no name)
& says drivers are not installed (code 28)

what would that be?