Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet running so slow on reformatted computer

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could be that you have two ethernet controllers on your computer. One is installed and working (the one you are using) and another one which has no drivers installed. You probably have one integrated to the motherboard and another one as a pci communications card. To check If I am correct please look at the back of the computer and see if there is another, unused, ethernet connection there.

Advertisements

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok i don't want to sound stupid cuz i know some about computers LOL but you mean like a plug where a like phone jack plug can go in only the bigger kind - is that the ethernet connections?

And by the way i REALLY appreciate all your help. I'm a nat'l mod for Freecycle so i need my web pages to open quickly & need my computer working to its potential so any other hints you can give me to help it run faster would be awesome. Can't really afford a new computer atm.

Z

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The connection to the ethernet card looks like a telephone connection only somewhat bigger. It can be somewhat confusing and if you are not sure try to plug the dsl cable into the connection. You can't mistake this way because if you have a dial-up modem on your computer (dial-up modem has 1 or two telephone connectors) the dsl communication cable will not plug into them. So, what you look for is to how many socket you have at back of your computer into which the dsl cable can plug.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok thanks - good news - after all the updates & things you told me to do the internet pages open faster than they ever have -

still using the Explorer 7 though

but one problem now - the home page in tools is set to go to www.cnn.com for internet options but when you click the blue "E" on the desktop it goes to some weird page even though its set for homepage of www.cnn.com - any ideas? I can get the addy of the page its trying to go to if you want. It doesn't bring up a page though just a dark blue screen for explorer -

for now i just type in the page i want like www.cnn.com and it opens fast but want to get it set so it will go to the homepage that i have set & not some unknown weird page w/a blue screen.

Thanks again !!!!

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Type in the URL of the site you want to use as your homepage in Internet Explorer then click Go or press the Enter key so the site opens. With it opened to the site you want click on the dropdown arrow for Tools over to the right then click Internet Options. Click the Use current button under the General tab. This will set the site as your homepage.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 28 March 2007 - 06:32 PM.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Whiskeyman for trying to help but I know how to do all that. It won't work. It is set to www.cnn.com but goes to some other page - something is over riding it. I will get the addy of the page its trying to go to in a bit.

The home page is set correctly but something else is over riding it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It is possible that you have malware hikacking your home page. Please run scans with some free, excellent antimalware programs. My personal choice are AVG Antispyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Avast antivirus. If this doesn't help then I suggest that you approach the malware forum (a link in my signature).