Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Card Reader Corrupt Flash Drive?

• Please log in to reply

ITDept

ITDept

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We recently had a new card access system installed on our building. The system requires that you carry a key FOB with you to be swiped in proximity to the reader mounted on the wall to gain access. Without thinking, I put the key FOB on my key chain with my flash drive, and I have been waving my keys with the FOB (and flash drive) in front of the wall mounted reader. All of a sudden my flash drive appears to be corrupted. My hunch is that either the FOB, reader, or a combination of the two has caused the problem, but I have been unable to find any documentation to confirm the equipment could have caused the problem. I assume the equipment uses an electromagnetic field. Is it possible this is powerful enough to corrupt a drive? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

assume the equipment uses an electromagnetic field. Is it possible this is powerful enough to corrupt a drive? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

this is probably the case...i doubt that it's the FOB unless it's an active device (i.e. has batteries in it)....the reader is probably the culprit....it initiates the electromagnetic field and could very well screw up a flash drive...i keep my flash drive on my badge hanging from my neck with my keycard...but i haven't experienced this issue yet...granted...i don't usually come in early enough in the day to require me to use the access system...or i use my key to go through the door that doesn't have one..hehe.

ITDept

ITDept

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well I did some testing with a floppy and another flash drive. I waved them both at the reader for an exteneded period of time, also rubbed the FOB over them for a bit (no the fob doesnt have a battery) just to be sure, but fortunately (or unfortunately) both where unaffected. :blink: I am thinking about sending this into Myth Busters! :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
did you rub the floppy across the reader WITH the fob in proximity? the reader USUALLY won't emit it's signal untill the fob is present (at least...to my understanding)