Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Notebook not recognizing Motorola wireless card

• Please log in to reply

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a HP Pavilion ze4805wm notebook with Windows XP preinstalled and I was using a Motorola QN825G wireless network card and it broke so I bought a new one to replace it but now my notebook isn't recognizing the new one. I've went through the set up process, downloaded the latest driver from the Motorola website, and downloaded the latest driver for the PCMCIA slot but it still isn't working. I'll insert the card and the Power and Link lights are very dim and then go out.

I've searched the internet over and the Motorola and HP website and even this website and haven't been able to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will try and provide as much information as possible if need be.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Here I go with questions again...

Did the old card get physically broken? Did it take a whack from the laptop falling or something like that?

If so, it could be the cardbus adapter (slot).

pccromeo

pccromeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Nope, when the old card was damaged it wasn't in the notebook. I really don't know what the problem could be. The old card worked great and then I had to get the hard drive replaced in the computer but didn't use the old card after the fact because my router went out. I got the new one last week because I was hoping to use it at school on their wireless network because my Algebra class requires special software and I do not have administrative right to install it on their PCs...

Edited by pccromeo, 26 March 2007 - 06:58 PM.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Sounds like the wireless card is defective. What does Device Manager show about the card?

pccromeo

pccromeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
It's a possibility. I purchased it on eBay and Motorola no longer manufactures them. It also wasn't in its original box either, but was in the orignal wrapper. I found it a bit odd myself as the first one I bought was still vacuum sealed.

I had it still in the card slot and the computer wouldn't begin loading until I removed it. It never done that with the old one. I looked under Device Manager and the computer is not recognizing the card at all. There's also a Motorola icon in Control Panel and when I open it it says "No devices found" or something so It has to be with the card.

I'll purchase one at a local department store and if it works I'll contact the seller and tell them the card is defective. Thanks for your help!