Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Taskmanager is Disabled

• Please log in to reply

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I installed this PC Alarm tools deal from Solitude Technology, but it says "Task Manager is disabled by the administrator." When I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I am the Admin., please how can I fix this issue?

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
To enable this feature you need to modify your registry. I cannot stress enough that you MUST backup your registry.

See below...

Posted ImageUse Extreme Caution!!Posted Image

Modifying your registry can damage your operating system beyond repair!

Before proceeding, backup your registry! NOW!!

Recommended registry utility. ERUNT Registry Backup

Now with that out of the way here is the registry edit that will re-enable your Task Manager.

Enable / Disable Task Manager in Windows XP Home / Pro

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
And while the Regedit will restore Taskmanager, to me the question is what disabled it in the first place? This is very often one of the first actions of modern for-profit malware. It disables the tools required to remove it. I suggest that you go to: http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html and follow the self-help procedure. If necessary, then post a HiJackThis log in THAT section of the forum to get trained help.

There is now a tool to help turn on system functions commonly disabled by malware. Remember that just because Taskmanager starts working, it does not mean that the malware is gone. The tool is available from Softpedia: http://www.softpedia...ions-Tool.shtml
Good luck, and please post back with your progress.

Edited by 1101doc, 27 March 2007 - 12:01 AM.

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Task Manager is working again.