Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SNAFU after update

• Please log in to reply

Arokthis

Arokthis

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I ran the update, MSN included specific drivers for my mouse (Kensington "Mouse in a box") with it. Now the "snap to" feature (mouse moves directly to the default button of a dialog box) in "pointer options" won't deactivate, even if the check-box is empty. Also, the wheel no longer works when I try to play Black & White 2.

My virus and spyware programs say nothing is wrong. (I'm not home right now. I'll post what they are when I can.) Task manager says 26 or items are running, including system stuff and my virus program.

Please don't assume I know where anything is. If you need info, I need you to tell me exactly how to get it. (Start, programs, .......)

PS: I forgot how to remove stuff from the start-up list in MSConfig.

Advertisements

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Updates should not change mouse settings. Can you find what "driver" you are referring to?
You can always do a system restore to a day before the problem.
start/accessories/system tools/system restore........choose a day you want.

Arokthis

Arokthis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
System restore worked!! :whistling:

Now I have another question: How bad would it be if I went through the registry and got rid of many of the references to AOL? A simple search for "AOL" finds about 2 dozen or so entries.

Also, how do I get rid of the junk in the startup section of MSConfig?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I would caution strongly against simply removing all Registry entries relating to AOL. It is such an integrative set of applications that many references to it in the registry may actually be part of other applications and system processes. If you have removed it from the Add/Remove menu that is usually enough. Further removal should only be undertaken if and when some left-over bit is creating difficulties. Orphaned entries will not cause problems. Re: start-up junk. Common wisdom refers users to msconfig. Since msconfig settings can have such profound consequences on the system, I use and recommend WinPatrol as a start-up management program. (It has many other benefits as well.) WinPatrol allows direct and easy control of start-ups both restricting and enabling at your choice. The new version now offers to delay some items until others are fully loaded, thus smoothing out the Cpu demand by initializing processes at boot. Get WinPatrol here:
http://www.winpatrol.com/ For more tools and URLs of informational sites that will help in controlling background processes see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/ To visit the "links" copy and paste to your browser address bar in a new tab.