Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

installing a wireless printer

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Over the weekend my computer crashed (I think that something in the registry became corrupted) and long story short I had to re-install windows on my computer up-to-date with service pack 2. I had a wireless printer and now my computer won't let me reinstall the software/printer onto my computer. My comp won't find the printer when it scans for it with the software and the printer's plugged in with an ethernet cable, and when I type in the specific IP address, a pop-up comes and says "a severe error has occurred and HP set-up has to close. Restart computer and retry."

I'm wondering if there're some components left over from my last windows that are keeping the new software install to not work but no HP programs are listed in the programs list and I think I've removed all old HP files.

any thoughts?

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check in device manager for any entries relating to that device. If any exist, right-click->uninstall.