Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting rid of windows

• Please log in to reply

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi all,

I recently installed SuSE10.1 onto my laptop in a dual-boot situation with Win XP. I have spent hours configuring SuSE to get it to look and react like I want it to. MP3's, DVDs, Wine to play CS and alot of software i have installed after fixing the YaST2 update problem. I have become comfortable enough with Linux to totally let go of my Windows XP partition. Is there a way to format my Win XP partition and add that extra space to my /root and /home partitions so that I dont have to reinstall everything. I"ve been told that i might be able to use a LiveCD to accomplish this. Could any one point me in a direction so i can get rid of Windows but keep my current suse 10.1 install?

Thanks for your help

Michael

Advertisements

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
You ought to be able to boot into a LiveCD then use those partitioning tools to do what you want. If nothing else, you'll be able to delete/format the XP partition. Two that I know of offhand are Mandriva One and and Ubuntu, both of which come with partitioning apps I believe (I know Mandriva does). You could try downloading one of those, then burn the ISO and boot from the CD. The partitioning apps are typically under the "System" tab in Gnome, if you use KDE then you'll need to look it up online or look around until you find it, I don't use it myself :whistling:

What you'll want to try to do is format the XP partition and then "extend" the SuSE one. The apps usually have pretty good GUI's, so they'll be rather self explanitory. Or, rather than trying to extend the partition(s), you could just format it to ext3 and then mount it as a separate partition.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK. After finally getting SuSE 10.1 installed and configured how i wanted (wine for CS, 3d support, MP3 etc) I got a copy of LInuxUser and it came with SuSE 10.2. I decided to reformat completely and left only 10 gigs for Windows so i can still use Remote Desktop and VNC to help troubleshoot my families PC's. SuSE 10.2 is amazing now that the update manager is fixed. Seems very solid and I totally love it. I can't believe I ever paid money for Windows. Not only is SuSE stable, better looking, free of malware, and free...but it is also fairly easy to learn and very fun to play with. Chalk up another Linux user on the board.

Thanks for all your help,

Michael