Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
As the title suggests, I am getting a new motherboard, since I need one that is PCI-E enabled. I am mainly posting this topic because I was hoping someone would have some suggestions for a motherboard I should get-my current processor is a Pentium 4 socket 478 (3.0 ghz). As mentioned above, the motherboard must have PCI-E x16 slot(s). Price is really not a problem, but I would like to stay under $150 (if possible) because I will also be purchasing a graphics card at the same time. Thanks in advance for any responses.
-also, I was wondering if, while I'm upgrading my motherboard, I shouldn't just go the whole ten yards and buy a core duo motherboard with a processor to match. if anybody knows of any good deals, or knows whether it's really 'all that' to get a dual core, I'd be glad for the help!

Edited by dllp117, 27 March 2007 - 12:33 AM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi, you can't really upgrade to a core 2 duo with $150. You might be able to get a cheap Pentium 4 processor and a PCI-E 16x motherboard for around that much. I was also wondering do you mean $150 with the graphics or without?

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I definitely meant without the graphics card; I'm probably going to get an X1600 512mb which is about $150-170 on newegg. I just meant that I wanted to stay under $150 with the motherboard. I was just wondering if it would save me more money in the long term if I spent $250 on a duo core motherboard and processor now then if I bought a 'regular' (single core' motherboard now and had to upgrade in several years time.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I found two motherboards that seemed to be okay while on newegg, and a processor, too. I was wondering if it is a wise choice to purchase these, or which one would be best-
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121048 this is my first choice for a motherboard, here is my second
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130090
and here is the processor I found
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116238
(this is supposing that i am upgrading to a core duo, obviously)

Edited by dllp117, 27 March 2007 - 04:45 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hey, sorry I didn't reply I had class and my teacher really hates it when we go on forums, and I had to log out as I was forced to by this new program they have.

Anyways as I have heard from James and other people the conroe's are gonna get slashed in prices in the summer so the best would be to wait a little longer. It has started to get warm and the summer should be here anytime now. Lol.

Edited by SOORENA, 27 March 2007 - 09:17 PM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
cool. well, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely follow it. I'll probably have more money then I have right now (currently I have a $500 budget on computers), so I can get a nicer setup.