Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Workgroup computers not showing in network places

• Please log in to reply

jfrank3

jfrank3

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Help....Over the weekend I lost the computers in the workgroup.....When going to "computers near me" only my workstation shows up.
If I do a search I can locate the other computers...but the links in network places are gone....any ideas.....thanks in advance....jim

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Have you verified your NIC has a valid IP address and that it is functioning? If it is wired is the wire secured and not damaged and in working condition? If wireless is the wireless system running and do you have good signal?

Do the other PC's see each other? Do they see this one?

jfrank3

jfrank3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not sure how to verify the ip addresses being functional....I just tried pinging one of the computers ip address with no success(from a command prompt) however, if I do a search for the computer, my computer will find the other computers and allow me to access shared files. They all show to be in the same workgroup when I check the properties, but they still do not show up without doing the search. The mapped drives still work in windows explorer. I hope this helps a little...thanks for the quick reply

jfrank3

jfrank3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
oops.......typo in last post.......I am able to ping other pcs.........sorry