Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots: UNMOUNTALE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

Cm002300

Cm002300

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm sorry, I know how busy you guys are, and I'm not sure how well you'll be able to help me.

Around 2 months ago I posted(hi-jack this log) asking for help with my computer, which was running very slow and had an issue starting, which I was fortunately able to fix. What had happened was that it would start up and go to a black screen. I got it to start in safe mode, and I don't remember how I had fixed it, but it worked properly after.

Now it continuously restarts, flashing the "blue screen of death" just before it restarts and asks me if I would like to start it normally. No matter what option I choose, it will reboot, and I never make it close to hitting the user screen.

I was able to disable the restart and now it's just sitting at that blue screen (I am using my laptop, but the other computer has all my important files.)

The error I received:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

***STOP: 0x000000ED ( 0x832EAE30, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )

I've googled this error, and got a few different options, the only one that seemed to make sense was creating a boot disk and attempting to repair the file. So I'm in the process of creating one, if not I'll have to find one.

If anyone knows how to fix this error without having to lode everything, I'd be extremely grateful!

Thanks!

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

Have you tried another 80-pin IDE cable to the hard drive? Have you set the Bios to default to see if the error goes away?

Cm002300

Cm002300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the link!

I will check the cable, but I'm not able to restore the BIOS, because I'm can't get the screen to load. It seems to be stuck on the boot options screen, the counter for seconds until windows starts also does nothing, it stays at 30.

I have my windows XP CD, however I can't get the computer to boot from it. Right now the only thing that seems to work is hitting F8 for the other options, but it won't load from anything.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you get to the boot options then you should be able to enter bios. The very fact that you are able to get to the options screen indicate that bios is probably "healthy" and performs POST (power on start test) after which windows starts loading.

Usually you enter bios by repeatedly tapping del or F2 key immediately after starting the computer until bios tables show up. If you don't succeed then start the computer and, when the first screen shows up. press pause key. You then will be able to see what key you have to press in order to reach setup or startup.

Upon entering bios look for boot device priority and make your cd drive first boot device. Put the xp cd in the drive and now save the new values and let the computer start. Press any key when asked to do so and let the computer run setup from the cd. When reaching three options, one of which is repair xp with recovery console, press R. A dos-like screen will show up. Press 1 when asked for windows installation and then press enter when asked for password (assuming you don't have one). Now, at the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press enter. If told that chkdsk will take place upon next restart confirm and restart the computer. Chkdisk is quite a long process so be patient.

If not successfull then try a repair installations of xp. A link in my signature will lead you to detailed repair instructions.

Cm002300

Cm002300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you so much for your help!
It worked perfectly the first time I did it, it ended up bein F11 and not DEL.
Everything is back to normal now, I'm so relieved. Thank you again!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.