Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oops..overcleaned registry?

• Please log in to reply

leedownen123

leedownen123

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I run CCleaner pretty regularly and now none of my video players work when I try to open an AVI file. Windows Media Player, Windows Media Player Classic, Nero Showtime 3. I think I might have overcleaned my registry. Everytime I click on an AVI file to open the video player application gets the "Encountered a message error." What do I do???

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try downloading and installing Microsoft media player 11 and see if that helps. you might have to reinstall the applications to get them to work again.

If that fails, then we will probably need to perform an xp repair. Let me know how it goes before proceeding to this step.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
i tried to reinstall wmp11 before i posted here, but it did not good. If we do an xp repair will i lose any data?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
no loss of data. In fact we have an excellent guide on how to perform a repair.

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
This is good and I definitely will give it a try but I was wondering just for personal knowledge what caused just the media players to be affected?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I've been affected the same, I think by CCleaner. I just use PowerDVD now...

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I am doing an XP Repair now as I speak on the desktop computer and have followed all instructions in the Geekstogo guide about repairing windows xp. The setup could not install pro_seg5.swf so I skipped it because I had Googled it and found it to be a mere help file used in the Windows XP Welcome to Tour. But now it could not install winlogon.exe. Since this is an important file I have aborted setup. So what now?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try again. if it fails again, then go to start run and enter "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

If that fails, then we will need to run a checkdisk.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
allthough after the problems please note following :

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups

If you follow these instructions y9ou allways will have a backup of your registry. as a default it will be stored in My Documents folder

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I retried the repair (with another disk) and all the setup files got copied correctly, then it reboots and I thought it was finished so I removed the disk and it brought up the windows xp install screen and said please insert XP SP2 disk. So I did and then it came up with a fatal error because some essential windows component could not be installed. I tried to reboot but I still have an XP Installation on my desktop. What now? As I wait for your response I am running Recovery Console.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi leedownen123...

Normally I would suggest you run a System Restore from command prompt for this problem, but it would appear that you have a botched install now...which means there are no restore points to go back to.

Let's do a parallel installation and move your data to the new installation. I am assuming you have a Microsoft XP cd for this...and a valid product key.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Let us know how this goes...

wannabe1

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well I didn't have much data anyway except a couple of home videos, but luckly I had them backed up. So I just did a fresh install of XP and now after a few hours have everything configured correctly...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That'll work, too. :whistling:

Thanks for letting us know how you got things sorted.

toasale

toasale

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:whistling: Unless you are an advanced user, do not run any registry repair program. Otherwise you will become an advanced user by default, as you'll have to learn the art of repairing all too freguently!!