Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I have a HD that I think the head is going and I need to get data off it for a friends business. It clicks and pops I have it hooked up as a local drive on mine but Win. doesen't see it. If I hold it and giggle it a bit it stops clicking. Is there anyway I can get it to see it? don't know if anyone has tried this before but how about taking it apart and putting the disk into another drive I have laying around.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Is there anyway I can get it to see it?

At this point, chances are slim to none that the drive can be read. If it is making noise and can't be read, the damage has been done.

Disassembling a drive is possible, but not advisable unless you have a "clean room" as ANY foreign objects will make the drive unusable, ever.

This is why businesses need to backup critical data.