Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

forget the ave temp. bigger issues here....

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
first off i got this new card gigabyte nvidia geforce 6600gt. runs great and benchmarked about 10x better than last card. anyway for the agp problem. my board is 4x/8x agp, and of course the card is 8xagp. now here is the problem according to the vga info from the gigabye tool the vid cards running on 4x agp mode. any way to bump it to 8x? now the second part is about playing videos, since i put this card in everytime i try to play a video on WMP it basically crashes the computer until i exit wmp and end wmp process. it doesnt completly crash it, just half way where it takes 5 minutes for a window to close

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try installing any updated drivers for the card...go to the manufactures site to get it..

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i have the most recent. it did it with the old drivers too (v77.??) now v93.??

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
ok, i think it is a problem with WMP. i put a dvd in the drive and when i load it to wmp it does the same thing. should i reinstall the wmp?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try uninstall WMP ...then reinstall it...

Before an Operating system like Windows XP loads and the software drivers take control of your video card's functions, the video BIOS initializes the card. As soon as it receives power from the motherboard, the BIOS activates the card and identifies itself to the motherboard BIOS.

At this point, the graphic processor and video memory clock speeds are also set by the BIOS, though these may be overridden by the drivers or other utilities once the operating system has loaded.

In short, the video BIOS starts and identifies the card, and provides its initial crop of settings.

look in your bios for the settings for the video card...

if your brave go here to flash the video bios...

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i got it working :whistling:, first i updated the agp driver for my board (never done it before) then i uninstalled wmp (well it downgraded to 10) now ima up back to 11. thanks for the help everyone.
also when i updated the agp driver, my card is now running at 8x :blink:.

still the question about the heat though its still around 52c idle

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
You may have to open up your case and try to remove some of the dust. Several stores like Office Max sell air in cans that you can use to blow dust out from various places. Make sure that your case has enough air flowing through it and maybe move cables to achieve better airflow. Also make sure that your graphics card fan spins and that the heatsink is not too dusty.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

You may have to open up your case and try to remove some of the dust. Several stores like Office Max sell air in cans that you can use to blow dust out from various places. Make sure that your case has enough air flowing through it and maybe move cables to achieve better airflow. Also make sure that your graphics card fan spins and that the heatsink is not too dusty.

everything works, i cleaned it yesterday before i put everything together. but i clean it out every other day anyway