Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

access is denied error

• Please log in to reply

syb388

syb388

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
theres an old user account on my computer, taking up a lot of hd space, when i try to access it i get an access is denied error message, i cant open it and i cant delete it. the user account is left over from a previous instalation of windows, and i have full admin privelages right now so is there anyway i can access the folder?
I came across this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881 which describes my problem but doesnt help me,

To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take ownership of the folder: 1. Turn off Simple File Sharing: a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

on the computer which im having this problem the Use simple file sharing check box isnt there, on all my other computers it is, but on this one it isnt.
btw im running windows xp sp2.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you are more interested in just getting rid of the account and it's associated folders (rather than seeing what's in it), go to Control Panel>User Accounts. Click the account name. From the list of options, choose to delete it. When asked if you want to also delete it's files, click 'yes'.

If you want to see what's in the account folder before doing that, you must log in to that account, but if it's password protected you won't be able to do that.

Bear in mind that for some operations you must log in with the Windows default account named "Administrator". This is more powerful than a named account which is simply labelled "Computer Administrator", but to access it you must boot up in safe mode (hold down F8 during first phase of boot-up, choose "safe mode" from menu).

Edited by pip22, 28 March 2007 - 12:24 AM.

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
the account doesnt exist anymore just the locked folders, containig many gig. i tried booting in safe mode and logging into admin, but its still locked, cant open or delete, i dont even know whats inside.

Edited by syb388, 28 March 2007 - 10:00 AM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
If you have Windows XP Home Edition, there won't be a checkbox to disable Simple File Sharing. You must still take ownership of the folder in Safe Mode. Microsoft has instructions on taking ownership of a folder here. Good luck! :whistling:

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
took control of the folder,
thanks a miilion.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
No problem. :whistling: I'm glad it worked.