Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Monster (well at least a baby one)

• Please log in to reply

vladamere

vladamere

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey next year (i have 9 months to decide) i am moving off to school. Now what i want basicly is a laptop.(lol) and here are some (very basic requirements)-
~60-80gig
~526mb RAM
~* (some nifty graphics card that is relitivly cheap and efficiant)

Now my cunnin plan is to buy an external hard drive so i can put heaps of music and downloads and pictures of pigs... and everything this side of nam on it (320gig one) and when i get back from school just use it for mucking around and save all the games and whatnot onto it and just use the main portable hardisk as free as possib;e . (as to keep the prectious laptop fast).

I also have some questions.

Q1: if i revamp the hardrive (take the old one out and put a new one in) do i have to install windows xp again?

Also what graphics card will i need to play games like Quake 4 and Sims2 nothing special but just enough to keep me off the streets at night?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi, for you're first question I would say yes, you have to install windows Xp again since the files will be gone. 2nd question You should go with a 7000 GeForce series graphics card. And the specs you listed are pretty cheap thsese days. I don't know if you want to buy a really good brand or just anything that works.

Here try THESE dell laptops they are pretty good and have just what you need, I don't know about gaming though, should be fine. You can play around with it and make the best you can afford. I would suggest getting a Amd Turion X2 for the processor for that one.

Opt

Opt

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Acer Aspire 5100 is on the cheaper side, but comes with some nice hardware inside. Something to consider anyway,..and has TurionX2.

Specs:

The Acer 5100 has the dual-core AMD Turion 64, along with up to 2GB of DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 4GB). This kind of power, combined with 120GB of hard disk space, a 15.4-inch widescreen LCD, Radeon Xpress 1100 graphics card, and an 8X DVD dual-layer burner makes this quite a steal.

798.00 at Wally world.

http://www.laptopica...spire-5100.html

vladamere

vladamere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the idears. i looked at building a dell and compared to the acer it costs a bloody fortune.