Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the alternative?

• Please log in to reply

King Lud

King Lud

• Pip
  • 8 posts
... but who still want internet access upstairs (as cheaply as possible)?

Basically, there's no chance of getting a wireless router unless you can convince me there's a way to make them (virtually) foolproof. Preferably with expert backing.

So I just wondered: what are the alternatives? The rooms in question have TV sockets but don't have telephone points. How easy is it to convert?

Please tell me there's some hope. :whistling:

Thanks!

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
You pull wires... if you don't need the TV jacks (probably rg6 coax cable) and they are not secured in the wall, you could potentially attach a CAT5 to one end, and pull from the other and now you have a CAT5 connection in that room.

Alternatively you can just wire new jacks, but this takes some know-how if you have a finished home or the room is in a spot that doesn't connect to a unfinished area that you can pull wires easily. Fish-tape will work, but again, it isn't real easy.

There is ALWAYS a way to wire things, it is just a matter of how you want it to look and how much know-how and gumption you have.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
hi King Lud,

Your house is already wired for a network. Here is some of what is available to turn the power lines in your home into a wired network. Most of the less expensive ones are usually around 14mbps which is fast enough for most broadband connections. There are powerline adapters that are capable of 300mbps.

Is it fool proof? I don't know but what is? I started reading about the technology about five years ago when they were starting to implement it as a way to deliver broadband over the power grid in parts of Europe. The wide area network application are currently in a few markets in the US. Several ISPs offer these LAN adapters for home networking customers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the powerline adapters that silverbeard referenced are getting better daily...deffinitely something to check into

running CAT6 is always my preference when doing hard wiring...you don't have to worry about speed ratings...whatever your nic can push...the wire can handle

and...wireless setups are relatively fool proof for the basics...but that all depends on the quality of fool you're referencing

King Lud

King Lud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:whistling: Thanks everyone (especially silverbeard for the link!). I'm now feeling much better about the situation ... I guess nothing is impossible if you have the knowledge. Until next time!