Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting music file to play

• Please log in to reply

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My wav file does not work from the webpage. The wav file seems to be coded correctly, but will not play from the live website. I had a couple of people look at the page source so they could check it. I was told that wav may be a better program, but may need streaming or compression? I dont have another music program.
I am still learning all the many, many intricasies of web management and implementation. So- I am not highly knowledgable about any of the functions. Be gentle please? and oh, my time is very limited, else I'd go look for a tutorial - and I have a deadline for this thing to be live by Saturday or Sunday night!! To have a look, go to http://aprilboyer.com/dumplins.html

Thanks Geeks, you're the best.
I am - after all, Nervous Nelly. :whistling:

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
did you remove the script for windows media player to play the wav file?

I looked at your code and there is nothing calling for it to exist or play.

If you can give me the code you are using for the wav file, I will see what I can do for you.

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Am I needing more of the path? The page is http://aprilboyer.com/dumplins.html The code is there, in the paragraph beginning "6 Year old Isabella... "

<a href="music/sing.wav">

Thanks
:whistling:
Nervous Nelly

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hi Nervous Nelly,

I presume you are wanting this to play by clicking on the link. If that is the case then you need to make the controls visible, currently the way you have that set up is as a hyperlink, I will see what I can do on this. It might take me a couple of hours though.

Edited by Dragon, 29 March 2007 - 11:22 AM.

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I got your message. Thanks ever! I see what you're saying, I think. I'll wait for your advice.

Nelly :whistling:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hi Nervous Nelly,

Here is the fix for you. replace this section of your code

<a href="music/sing.wav">

with this.

<br />
<object width="200" height="16">
			<param name="autoplay" value="false">
			<embed src="./music/Sing.wav" width="200" height="16" autoplay="false"></embed> 
		  </object> 
		  <br />

This will work in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape Navigator, and Opera.

Edited by Dragon, 29 March 2007 - 02:26 PM.

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Dragon,
Oh I was so hopeful. It didn't work. I'm going now to make it live and see if that makes a difference. (I was testing in my html editor and two live browser views)

I understand that you've made an object to hold the tool bar, and that you embedded the file into it. Is a plug in required? (I'm using Firefox)

Thanks for all the help,

Nelly :whistling:

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Dragon
Woo hoo! It worked! I did need to add a plug-in, one was missing from my browser. The image did not display at first, but after downloading the plug in and restarting my computer - it worked.
Now I can add one more item to my knowledge bank.

Thanks ever!

Nelly

Hey, try out the music clip . It's cute. :whistling:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I used my Dreamweaver program to set this up, to do this I downloaded the music clip so I could test it on my personal server. I have to agree it is cute.

Glad I could help.