Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cookie Settings change every time I open IE

• Please log in to reply

sizzletime29

sizzletime29

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Every time I close my browser, my cookie settings change. I can go to Options on privacy tab and custom set the cookes and once I reopen the cookies change to either allow all cookies or block all cookies.

I am running webroot spysweeper, Ad aware and spybot and none pick up anything. Does anyone know what can be causing this.

I am running IE 7.0 with windows XP and problem only started after an automatic update.

Edited by sizzletime29, 28 March 2007 - 11:46 AM.

Advertisements

sizzletime29

sizzletime29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Anyone have any ideas for me yet?

Messing with it last night I would check my cookies settings and I dont have to close the browser for my settings to change. It does it randomly, different web pages but have not found any pattern as to why it is happening.

Example is before I came to this web site I checked settings - Tools -internet options - privacy - custom settings.

After I got to this site, I checked again, found - tools - internet options - privacy - (now changed to block all cookies)

So I dont have to close browser to have settings change, it is doing it randomly.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried to restore the computer to a date before the automatic updating took place (I assume it's a windows update and not one of your other programs). To restore: Click start > programs > accessories > system tools > system restore.

sizzletime29

sizzletime29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks, something is wrong with this last update from IE for me. I went back as you said to a date before I did the update and everythng worked fine. I reinstalled the 1 update today and it went back to same problem so went back to settings before update and is working fine again.

Obviously something is wrong so I cant install this update. I generally use the express install so now may have to take my hand at the custom install. I have never done this before, anything I need to know about before I start messing with the custom install. I guess I am not sure how I will be able to do a future update without doing the one now.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you have the update downloaded go to custom install. You will have an option not to install the troubling update and you will be told that in the future you will not be able to download this particular update. Accept this and you will have no troubles with this update anymore. This will not affect current or future updates.