Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Images Be De-screened?

• Please log in to reply

burlsipes

burlsipes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, everyone:

I'm new here, so forgive me if this is not posted to the correct section. I wasn't sure what it should fall under.
Here's my problem/question:

Can you "de-screen" images that have been e-mailed to you or posted to the 'net in a "screened" format?
I have noticed, more and more, that a lot of pics on the 'Net look fine as thumbnails or as long as they are limited in size. Try to enlarge them to their "original" size, however, and it seems they almost always turn out as "arty" type images, with the big versions appearing as if they've been "posterized" or "solarized" or filtered in some way.
Just last night, my girlfriend sent me 2 pics of herself--downloaded straight from her digital camera--and they showed up the same way. Problem is, sometimes you'd like to save pics, particularly if you can get them at a large enough size to use as a screensaver or as wallpaper or just large enough to really see well without needing a magnifying glass. But who wants to save pics that look "muddy" or "psychedelic" or like a page from some kids' cheap coloring book.
What causes this??? Is it the way in which the pics are saved and uploaded? Is it my system, in some way? And can these pics be "unfiltered" once they've been saved and uploaded in a filtered mode?
Just wondering. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds as though these pictures are being resized, either by the senders email program, or yours.