Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

networking problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey, i'm a little new to this networking thing so i apologize ahead of time if i sound like a dummy.

i have comcast cable internet and the modem and router are hooked into my brother's computer, with a wire going into mine. i was pretty sure that we got the networking settings all figured out, and for some reason, my internet is working, but not his. which is weird because his internet has to be working for mine to work, right? i'm using a dynex dx-e401 4-port cable/dsl router.

anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

His does not have to be working for yours to work if you have what you described (router and not a hub). It should be set up like this:

The Comcast cable comes out of the wall and connects to the cable modem.
The cable modem connects to the router's "WAN" port.
Your two computers connect to the router.

Set it up like this and then turn everything off. Modem, router and PC's.
Turn on the modem and wait a couple of minutes. Not seconds. Minutes. :whistling:
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes.
Turn on the PC's.

Post back with results.

BTW, if the router is a new addition, you need to call Comcast and let them know that you've installed it. They'll ask you for a MAC address. It's on a sticker on the router.

Edited by 98springer, 28 March 2007 - 06:34 PM.