Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR file missing

• Please log in to reply

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I decided to run Registry Mechanic, and I choose the Compact Registry option, and it compacts and optimizes the registry, then it asked me to restart the computer now it won't startup, and all it is is a black screen that reads NTLDR file missing, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to retstart, and I press it, and the same message pops up. I hope someone can help me restore my computer because I really need the help, and I hope I didn't ruin it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

P.S.

I searched a lot of other sites for topics on this issue, and it seems I need the Windows XP disc my computer came with in order to fix the problem, and it didn't come with the disc when we bought the computer so I fear there's going to be a major issue with this. :whistling:

Is there a program I could download, and then burn to a cd and run on the other computer because the computer I'm on right now has a cd burner.

Edited by computerdude1985, 28 March 2007 - 08:38 PM.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
before you jump the on the cd burning bandwagon, have you tried to boot into safe mode??? If you are able to boot into safe mode, do a system restore to the day before you ran the registry program. Too boot into safe mode, tap F8 while the machine starts, then choose safe mode.

Otherwise what you can do is get a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com and boot your computer with it. They have xp boot disks. if you can use that to boot your system, then once you are in, do a system restore.

If a system restore doesn't fix the issue then you will have to do one of two things. either buy a retail version of Windows XP at the store, which those are already starting to become hard to find with the release of VISTA, or contact your computer manufacturer and wait for the disk to arrive.

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

before you jump the on the cd burning bandwagon, have you tried to boot into safe mode??? If you are able to boot into safe mode, do a system restore to the day before you ran the registry program. Too boot into safe mode, tap F8 while the machine starts, then choose safe mode.

Otherwise what you can do is get a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com and boot your computer with it. They have xp boot disks. if you can use that to boot your system, then once you are in, do a system restore.

If a system restore doesn't fix the issue then you will have to do one of two things. either buy a retail version of Windows XP at the store, which those are already starting to become hard to find with the release of VISTA, or contact your computer manufacturer and wait for the disk to arrive.

Thanks so much! I sent all of this info to my friend. She's coming over tomorrow morning to try to fix the computer. She has a windows disc so I think she can repair it. I just don't wanna lose any of my files on my computer.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
very good, let us know what happens.

This is the primary example of why most of us don't recommend using registry software like Registery mechanic or any other brand. One wrong move and you can render your machine useless until you get it fixed.