Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Something just shorted out.

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi,
I was just putting in an old dvd player/recorder. I started to put the electrical connector in the wrong way. Apparently just enough of it touched to short out something.
My pc shut down but it booted up right away with no problem.
But the dvd player will not work.
I installed an old cd reader/player and tried to hook that up.
Again, apppears to not be getting any power.
My fans are all working as is the main pc.
Is there an inline fuse that I could have blown or did I mess up some of my wires?
Thanks,
jst

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I do hope you didn't try to plug in a DVD Player inside a computer with the power still on.
Plugging a drive in with the power cable connected but the computer shut down is one thing, but plugging a drive in while the system is actually running is sheer stupidity. Plugging the connector in the wrong way round when the computer is off is forgiveable, but when its running... you're lucky its only appears to have taken out the one molex (or that drive) - it could have been a lot worse.

You've probably blown the molex connector. Shut down the computer and pull the plug before you do anything else. Try some more of the power connectors, with any luck you've only damaged the one of them. A more serious issue could be that the drive(s) you've shorted are now dead.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-jst42day-[Something shorted]-29th MAR-2007

Welcome to – Geeks to Go –

Is there an inline fuse that I could have blown or did I mess up some of my wires?

Well kind of a fuse –

A lot of Designers will install a small 10 Ohm limiting/filtering resistor in series with the output voltage for each output connection – or in the Power Input circuit of the device, that will destroy itself – and prevent catastrophic damage –

I would suspect that your Power Supply or each of the drives may have 2 fairly charred resistors – and has a pungent odor – KEEP OUT -

I installed an old cd reader/player and tried to hook that up.
Again, apppears to not be getting any power.

you've probably blown the molex connector. Shut down the computer and pull the plug before you do anything else. Try some more of the power connectors, with any luck you've only damaged the one of them. A more serious issue could be that the drive(s) you've shorted are now dead.

Using your PC as a – Peripheral Power Tester – with an unknown condition of a device is not a recommended use of a PC – could be a pretty $$$$$ test.

I suggest using a voltmeter & measure the Power Supply connector in question for detailed Test Result – instead of – GO – NO GO Test Result that reveals nothing. Make following measurement -

· Across Pin-1 (+) Yellow – and – Pin-2 ( – ) Black For +12 VDC
· Across Pin-4 (+) Red – and – Pin-3 ( – ) Black For + 5 VDC
01_4_Pin_Peripheral_Power_Plug.jpg

If the connector tests good, then both drives are probably bad – If the Connector fails, then tape up the connector & tag – DO NOT USE -

As for the drives – I suggest that you have them tested by a – Qualified Tech – State the circumstances & ask for a Cost estimate 1st – Keep the cost of a new drive, as the Cost Basis for the test –

Thanks for being honest – about the Root Cause of the problem – It is sometimes difficult to admit to being at fault. But by knowing the full details – We can give you more meaningful answers & suggestions –

The main lesson here is – Never Connect or Disconnect a Live/Active Power Connection -

It is possible that, someday – This incident – may have caused some additional hidden damage – You probably shortened the life expectancy of the Power Supply – and/or damaged/stressed some of the protective circuitry components – Power Supply may experience an infantile failure due to the stress.

Thanks for being honest with the problem and telling us what had happened.

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 29 March 2007 - 01:24 PM.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanks very much to both of you.
No, it wasn't fun admitting my foolishness.
However, I've managed to find that no apparent harm was done.
The short appears to have been caused by a couple of bent pins.
As of this evening the drives are working as they are supposed to.
Thanks again.
jst42day