Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS settings &overclocking

• Please log in to reply

nfi

nfi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

I have read in mags and on here how to overclock, however I need a few pointers. Firstly, my specs

MSI 845 Pro
Pentium 4 1.6Ghz
PC 133 512MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT

Next, my BIOS settings are old, and don't have all the features that are spoken of(AMIBIOS). I can really only change the FSB and voltages, no finer tunes. Can I update this? (A point to note SiSandra suggested I should update my BIOS)

If I should, what should I update it with? Where to find it?

How do you update the BIOS and/or flash it? I have read about it but need a str8 forward description.

Lastly, at the moment I'm getting 1.78GHZ, what do you think I can get it to? I read of a guy getting about 2.3 GHz stable out of a similar config, but he had different BIOS.

thanks Sean :tazz:

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can find BIOS updates and instructions here: http://www.msi.com.t...p?UID=89&kind=1

2.3 would be an unusual overclock. Overclocking takes a lot of trial-and-error, and patience. Go slow, moving the FSB up a few mhz at a time, while tweaking other settings. Find the max speed you can boot into Windows, and then slow it down 3-5 mhz for max stability.

nfi

nfi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The thing is I can really only change FSb and voltage.

Can I get whole new BIOS progs or do I have to keep this one? ;) :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Increasing FSB is the main way to overclock, you're just not going to be able to get as large of an overclock without the updated BIOS.

nfi

nfi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help, but can I upgrade to a different BIOS, ie not listed on your URL, and how do I do it best?