Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local disk D - first missing, now not functioning

• Please log in to reply

xnep

xnep

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My disk D, with all of my pictures, music, documents has basically ceased to work a couple of days ago.

It all started out with my system just randomly shutting down on me sometime on Sunday. I could not turn the pc on for a while, but after some trials I managed to get it up and running again. However, when I turned it on, my disk D was missing in the My Computer window. I tried all sorts of things to find out whether it was an operating system error or something with my hardware, though I still really have no clue. After the attempts with checking the op system, disk D still didn't show up. It wasn't until today I changed the wires connecting my drive to the motherboard that it actually popped up in the My Computer window. I can't open it though! Upon clicking on it, it reads:

"D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

What's going on? Is there any way to get my disk to work again, without formatting it and getting rid of all my files? Maybe it's simpler than that?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, hope you can help me out!

Edited by xnep, 28 March 2007 - 11:05 PM.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
download a copy of CentOS liveCD at http://www.centos.org/, This is a Linux distribution, providing the D: Drive isn't completely dead, you should be able to at least retrieve your data, so that you won't lose it. then using your Windows Operating System, if you are unable to retrieve the data then it is totally scrambled and lost. Reformat the hard drive, if it fails to reformat, then the hard drive is done for.

most likely what might have happened is when your computer shut down it scrambled the disk rendering unreadable, worst case scenario you have lost all the data.